• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I changed the lash to 8 intake 15 exhaust. It still spools really good but not the jump I was expecting because it was a huge difference when I went from 10/20 to 8/18 so I thought 8/15 would be a big jump again on spoolup but I don't think it changed that much. I am thinking me cleaning the turbo and all the crap off of the turbine shaft must have gave it a big kick. I will say this though, it runs reallllllly smooth now. The power just rolls on perfectly, no points on the throttle that are more powerful than others, even down at lugging speeds. I might go back and set the intakes down to 6 and see what happens.

Yeah I am going to have to stay on top of them. They get loose most times rather than tighter so being as tight as the service manual allows means I have a lot of room to get loose. Someone had worse mpg running them like this so we will see what I get.

I can see going with 8/18 if it makes a difference. Without knowing what the piston to valve clearance is I don't know if I would be comfortable going further. I can see the argument of having a little more space to loosen before they are out of spec, but on the other hand I can see heat expansion.

• 1 year later...

been awhile but i have been on the 8 and 17 for awhile:thumbup2:

thought I read that unless you run a modified CAM or have altered the clearance with head being shaved etc you pretty much cant have a clearance issue with valve contact ........ :shrug: