• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

coworkers 07 has poor mileage

guesswho512

i have a coworker that has a 07 3500 that is bone stock. he has just under 100k miles. he was complaining that he gets real poor fuel mileage. he said his best tank ever was 14MPG but is usually 10-12 empty and ~8 when pulling his cattle. he said that it doesn't have the power it did new. he was thinking about buying a used bully dog programmer. i warned him that he needs a EGT gauge before he starts adding fueling enhancers. i also suggested a compression test.also his tires were "loosing" lugs on the inside of the tread face. they were a Hankook off-road tire. i thought it was because using a off-road tire on the highway, but it was only the inside lugs. like every other one was finedoes anyone know of anything i can tell this guy?

i wouldn't recommend bully dog...cuz they fuel all at once..not graduly like other programmers..the opposite of dumby programmer or .the green programmer made down in florida...are highly recommended..i have used them both for years...if he idles alot the dpf is prolly plugged..i would rip that thing outta there and get a delete from h&s..sounds like possibly needs the front end looked at?:thumbup2:

what i thought..never seen/heared of a 5.9 getting that terrible of mileage....6.7's started in '07.5:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

Are you sure thats a 4 thumb comment? :lol: The 2 CR 5.9's I have been riding in with 10k in tow have been getting around 11.

i have a coworker that has a 07 3500 that is bone stock. he has just under 100k miles. he was complaining that he gets real poor fuel mileage. he said his best tank ever was 14MPG but is usually 10-12 empty and ~8 when pulling his cattle. he said that it doesn't have the power it did new. he was thinking about buying a used bully dog programmer. i warned him that he needs a EGT gauge before he starts adding fueling enhancers. i also suggested a compression test. also his tires were "loosing" lugs on the inside of the tread face. they were a Hankook off-road tire. i thought it was because using a off-road tire on the highway, but it was only the inside lugs. like every other one was fine does anyone know of anything i can tell this guy?

thats about right probably. he got the dpf and external egr still?

i co worker has a '08 3/4ton qcsb 4x4 with the 6-speed automatic Aisin tranny..and there is almost a night and day difference..step on it and that thing is sideways and the ride is so must smoother..so far he has had no trouble with the p.f. pluggin' up.

my coworker asked me about the stuff in my first post, then he asked my opinion of the bully dog programmer. he said his "son knows a guy" that has the EXACT same yr model and options. the guy supposedly got 32 MPG. i immediately called BS!!! i gave him my opinion on bully and a few others(high price and less power compared to others). and suggested a EGT gauge, compression test, injector test, pull the DPF, and pull the EGR cooler and block all the passages. i thought the 6.7s were in the range of 16-18 empty. i have not spoke to the man since this conversion. will probably see him on monday or tuesday.

ya 32 mpgs with stock exhaust or not is basically impossible to see without alot of work.but my dad and me did his 07.5, we blocked egr and took dpf off put a smarty in it and it makes a steady 19 to 20 on the highway and its a standard dually we would do it again

• Staff

He will be quite happy with deletes, but that may not be 100% the root of poor mileage, thou it can't hurt to delete the stuff. The 07.5-08's have a normal sized intercooler, and thus don't get the mileage of the later trucks; however, once deleted the bigger IC is great!Also, does he have current software on the truck? That makes a huge difference on the 07.5's.

With 100,000 miles, and the tires wearing off the inside lugs, he may need front end work and/or an alignment. Ball joints, tie-rod ends etc. If the tires ain't rolling straight, that's a huge drag on the engine and will make the tires wear oddly. I would also guess that he has a heavy foot!!!