• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gauge Ranges

Sorry for the beginner question but I'm not having a lot of luck with the search feature. I'd like to install some gauges - fuel pressure, boost, & EGT. I understand best accuracy is achieved by selecting a gauge where the engine's normal operating range is in the middle of the gauge's range. But I don't know what is the engine's normal operating range for boost & EGT ('99 3500 2wd auto 4.10). The truck is stock now but I may boost things later for MPGs & towing an RV. Next mod after the gauges will be a decent aftermarket lift pump (100gph).As I recall, before the Turbo is where the probe should be installed. On my first gen that required drilling & tapping the manifold - does the same apply on the 24 valve?Appreciate the help,Joe in St Louis

For fuel pressure, you need a 0 - 30 psi gauge.For boost pressure, also a 0 - 30 psi gauge.For EGT, 0 - 1500+ gauge. You will also need and auto transmission gauge, 0 - 300*. Correct, the normal place that the EGT probe installed is in the exhaust manifold, in the rear outlet, preturbo. With the EGT gauge, I have one that goes up to 2200*. Others will chime in.

• Owner

For fuel pressure, you need a 0 - 30 psi gauge.

For boost pressure, also a 0 - 30 psi gauge.

For EGT, 0 - 1500+ gauge.

You will also need and auto transmission gauge, 0 - 300*.

Correct, the normal place that the EGT probe installed is in the exhaust manifold, in the rear outlet, preturbo.

With the EGT gauge, I have one that goes up to 2200*.

Others will chime in.

Yeap he's right on the money...

EGT location...

Posted Image

You are correct, a gauge is most accurate in the middle of its range. Just get yourself a set of quality gauges and install them as per the mfgr's instructions. The installation of the pyro is the same for a first gen, 12v or 24v. The boost is not a 'must have' gauge, but it sure comes in handy for diagnosing some performance issues. The transmission temp, the fuel pressure and the pyro gauges are the ones that are a must have. Take a look at this to give you some ideas: http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm

Thanks for the replies. Crunch time here with information overload. I'll get it sorted out in time.OK, after I get the correct range gauges installed, what sort of nominal readings should I be looking for?Appreciate your patience,Joe in St Louis

For boost, if stock, 0-20 psi. Depending on load and terrain. For fuel pressure you want to see over 12 psi all the time to keep the VP44/Injection Pump happy. For EGT you will see the low range of the gauge to max of 1250* for short time periods, less than 30 seconds. Auto trans you will want to keep it below 220*. Heat destroys autos. Others will chime in.

Fuel pressure should be in the green like Mike said.Boost will be around 3-10 cruising around, should get to 20 if you floor it on a stock truck. EGT varies with speed and ambient temperature. In the winter with no winter front you are lucky to get over 600 at any constant speed. In the summer at 70mph you might be around 700F.Ok Mike didn't say on this thread, and I can't seem to find the pic :lol: stodg filled you in anyways.

Yeah stock boost maxes about 20, but when he does the towing mods he mentioned a 0-30 will be maxed out in short order.

Yeah I would aim for 0-45. I don't think they make those though so 0-60 is probably the best bet.