• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Any Procedures For Testing an ABS Wheel Sensor?

1999 3500 2WD with 4 wheel ABS

Got an ABS warning light (along with a brake warning light). Rear sensor was replaced by previous owner - no fix. Took to dealer to run the diagnostics, results point to a R/H front ABS wheel sensor. Before I order the part (OEM MSRP = $200), I was wondering if there was a method to check the sensor with a meter or something. Is it possible that the sensor is just dirty with brake dust, or do the connectors get corroded? I guess I could compare the ohms resistance reading from the rt front with the value taken from left front. Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe in St Louis

--- Update to the previous post...

Today I did some investigating. First I did a visual to ensure the wires didn't looked damaged (no problems), then disconnected the QD on the Rt fender well & tried to take a resistance reading on the sensor (open-no continuity). Went ahead & removed the Rt front tire/caliper/hub to expose the sensor. The sensor was cracked wide open in two places - looked like it had filled with water which froze & busted open. There also was ferrous magnetic fuzz all over it. I think I found my problem.

Cheapest replacement part was from Mopar Wholesale Parts

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/mopar-parts-online?gclid=CNqhvfWaxKUCFY64Kgod9zrIYg

at about $135 + $12 shipping. OEM parts at a good price, or so it seems. Plan on calling tomorrow & ordering.

Joe in St Louis

Yesterday the new sensor showed up. Bolted it on, plugged it in, and the abs light is no longer illuminated - didn't even have to drive it down the road! Glad to have it fixed.I did take a resistance reading on the sensor prior to installation. I only have a digital multimeter, and when taking a reading in the ohms function it registered open, but I've had problems before with taking readings on ignition coils using a digital VOM - need to get a Simpson meter. I switched it to the diode check function and was able to read a resistance of 1.106 ohms.So for troubleshooting a sensor, check for continuity, then physical damage.Joe in St Louis