• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator cap sucking in air

My radiator has been doing this for a long time but I have not been able to fix it. I got a new radiator cap and nothing changed. It draws in air whether heating up or cooling down. I don't know what I need to do to fix it. Any ideas? I know for sure the overflow hose isn't leaking.

I'm confused. You write "draws in air"... Do you not have a working cap & return bottle? It should draw in PAF (Permanant Anti Freeze). Let's say you have a return type cap & overflow bottle. Where is the air? The radiator tank? Is the overflow hose clamped? Is there wear or damage to the cap or filler neck? Is the tank end of the overflow in the PAF? Have you marked the oveflow tank to see if it's increasing (PAF being pushed out & not withdrawn?) (I checked my STANT radiator test kit instructions... which giives a long general list.) I've had a lot of trouble with caps / filler necks. I've mickey-moused extra rubber gaskets into caps on occasion. Sometimes playing with the cap position will inexplicably change the result.

• Like 1

• Owner

I've come across several bad caps missing the spring on the vacuum valve of the cap. As you would hold the cap in normally mounted position the valve would hang down and not close causing the radiator not to hold pressure. I've seen where upper rubber seals in the cap start to get little crakcs in them causing air to leak in. Worse yet seen radiator cap missing them out right.. Damaged radiator necks it possible cracked, deformed, or just damaged it will not seal correctly and draw from the bottle. How is the hose to the bottle is the hose damaged? Is the bottle damaged on the draw tube if its it will spit coolant into the bottle be never draw it back up... See this one too...

There is no issue with tubing/overflow it is purely the cap. I can hear it sucking in air. The tube going to my overflow is clear and I can "prime" it and watch air come into the tube straight from the radiator cap, pushing all the coolant back. It does this after I top the radiator completely off and have the hose full of green. The cap is brand new, didn't change anything.

I have not looked at the top radiator hose on my CTD lately but my old Chevy, I used to prime the tube with a stone cold engine but using the top radiator hose as a squeeze ball & expelling the air. When I let go, if the cap was seated just right, it would draw back PAF. Yes, I had to play with that cap a bunch. I've had caps leaking through the center rivet, new caps which would not seal, old caps with with cracked gaskets, ears not engaging right, distorted radiator fill neck. Remember, these overflow/return systems were an after thought not many years ago.