• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re getting stuck in 2nd.........

My truck sat for about three months before I got it rolling again, now that I have it up and runnin, my tranny intermittently decides to stop shifting through the gears, it will lock in second and not want to shift through. If I drop in neutral and then put it back in drive it seems to take care of it for at least a little while. the fluid and filter have about 3,700mi on it but the bands have never been adjusted (a auto trany guru I am not) its been in the low teens to the negative single digits and the truck has not been up to full operating temp since I got it running (I still have to put a high temp thermostat in it and get a winter front on it) not sure if the cold weather and sitting for a long period of time coupled with the fact that it hasn't had a lot of drive time on it and hasn't been thoroughly warmed up and put through its paces would effect the proper function of the tranny, any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks guys!!

--- Update to the previous post...

i take it back, it sticks in 1st and 2nd, putting it in neutral and then dropping it back in gear is still "unsticking" the trany but is getting frustrating.....

fluid level is good, fluid still seems to have good lubricity, i used the proper type of trany fluid and a few months ago before i parked it i didn't have ANY problems with the thing (i HATE auto transmissions) next step, i'm changing the fluid, if that has no affect i'm adding a stop slip fluid modifier (against OEM standards for a 47RE) and hope it buys me enough time to get my 5 speed shipped to Alaska, i have a 12v duelly in Washington that got flooded a few years ago, but it was a good price…..$FREE.99

Sticky gov solenoid valve. Mine does the same thing when its cold out. it will up shift at around 2500+ rpms. I have had the gov valve get sticky on mine in the past and I just removed it and cleaned it when it was time for a service. I just lived with it for a while. Mine does the same thing when it gets cold out but mine is caused by the BD pressure lock vaccuum cylinder getting dirty and slow to react when coming to a stop ect it holds the gov linkage open which hold internal tranny pressures higher and it causes the same issue as a sticky gov valve.I wouldn't add aything extra to the oil. Specific clutch materials can and will deteriorate and or varnish over or slip with a different additve package introduced to it. Take for example the manual trannies and how sensative the synchros are to different oils "they are a mini version of clutch material". same thing goes for auto clutch pack materials.

• Like 1

Sticky gov solenoid valve. Mine does the same thing when its cold out. it will up shift at around 2500+ rpms. I have had the gov valve get sticky on mine in the past and I just removed it and cleaned it when it was time for a service. I just lived with it for a while. Mine does the same thing when it gets cold out but mine is caused by the BD pressure lock vaccuum cylinder getting dirty and slow to react when coming to a stop ect it holds the gov linkage open which hold internal tranny pressures higher and it causes the same issue as a sticky gov valve. I wouldn't add aything extra to the oil. Specific clutch materials can and will deteriorate and or varnish over or slip with a different additve package introduced to it. Take for example the manual trannies and how sensative the synchros are to different oils "they are a mini version of clutch material". same thing goes for auto clutch pack materials.

awesomw!! thanks man, that makes sense:thumb1:
  • Like 1

your Welcome, If you can live with it I wouldn't worry too much. I notice that coming off the road where the tranny temp barely see over 100*F it would almost always do it at the first 1 or 2 stop light when I hit town and then the temps would rise and it would shift fine once it warmed up during intown driving. I can tell the difference between the gov valve sticking and the BD pressure lock moving slow also by the way of the gov valve only causes delayed upshifts. but when the pressure lock hangs up it down shifts hard when coming to a stop along with delayed upshift whereas the solenoid didn't do the noticeable hard downshift.