• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

After finding absolutely nothing on the internet for what is under that cover and lots of people wondering including myself, I put Smokeythedodge to the task of getting some pics since he has that 24V just sitting out there. He came through in a big way taking a lot of pics. You can see the pushrods going down right into the top of the lifter/tappet. You can see that some lifters are up and some are down because some are on the cam lobe.

Also gives you a sense of why you have to jam dowel rods into the lifters and pull them all up if you want to pull the cam out, otherwise the lifters that are down would hit each lobe of the cam.

Thanks again Smokey!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

would have thought since you were in school for this you would have known.:smart:

That was industrial electricity then generators with a crash course of diesel engines.. We took an 8.3 completely apart and I remember everything but never saw any tappet cover, I don't think they had them. The CR's don't have them either. There is a difference between knowing what is under it and seeing what is under it. That's why I keep taking things off my truck. I know what stuff should look like, but I want to see it for myself so I am not working off of some "should look like" picture in a book. Most of the time it isn't even a picture but more a sketch of the engine kinda a diagram I guess, those are completely worthless to me. They will get you by, some more than others, but nothing compares to a real world picture.

You can see the pushrods going down right into the top of the lifter/tappet. You can see that some lifters are up and some are down because some are on the cam lobe. Also gives you a sense of why you have to jam dowel rods into the lifters and pull them all up if you want to pull the cam out, otherwise the lifters that are down would hit each lobe of the cam.

Thanks for the pictures man ..... now explain :) I guess I didn't realize there was anything happening on the side of the block/head apart from the headstuds and maybe coolant/oil return ??? Got a diagram or some 101 for dummies to explain more .......

Thanks for the pictures man ..... now explain :)

I guess I didn't realize there was anything happening on the side of the block/head apart from the headstuds and maybe coolant/oil return ???

Got a diagram or some 101 for dummies to explain more .......

I can't believe how hard it is to find something on the pushrod setup. Everything youtube and google is overhead! Did manage to find exactly what you need though.

Posted Image

So here we go John, the rockers on the valves are pushing by something.. they are pushed by the pushrods (I'll be damned right haha) the pushrods go into the lifters (tappets), the lifters are on top of the cam lobes so when the cam has a lobe, it pushes the lifter and therefore the pushrod up, and that teters the rocker teter totter, opening the valves. When the cam lobe passes, the valve springs push the rocker back up, pushing the pushrod and the lifter back down, so there is always pressure on that cam.

Got it? Let me know if you dont.

I can't believe how hard it is to find something on the pushrod setup. Everything youtube and google is overhead! Did manage to find exactly what you need though.

Posted Image

So here we go John, the rockers on the valves are pushing by something.. they are pushed by the pushrods (I'll be damned right haha) the pushrods go into the lifters (tappets), the lifters are on top of the cam lobes so when the cam has a lobe, it pushes the lifter and therefore the pushrod up, and that teters the rocker teter totter, opening the valves. When the cam lobe passes, the valve springs push the rocker back up, pushing the pushrod and the lifter back down, so there is always pressure on that cam.

Friggin awesome diagram (and explanation).:nadkick: (haha) !!

Sooo ..... last question ........ what does the tappet cover let you do ..... doesn't seem much space for doing anything apart from replacing the tappets ??? :shrug:

Friggin awesome diagram (and explanation).:nadkick: (haha) !! Sooo ..... last question ........ what does the tappet cover let you do ..... doesn't seem much space for doing anything apart from replacing the tappets ??? :shrug:

Probably why the CR's don't have them anymore. Nothing but something to leak oil.

Just hoping that fresh paint is Cummins ISX Red and not Chevrolet Orange!:nono:

It's not because I painted my 5spd chevy orange haha, his is red.

ISX what happen to the diagram??? i only see the little red x :banghead::banghead:

I still see it, try restarting your browser. Mine likes to do that if I leave it open too long.

• Owner

Posted Image

Got the same problem here too... No pic... :broken:

Now at least I understand the tappet and the wooden dowel trick... I had Taz's cam cover off to change the gasket but since we where working against time I never really got a chance to look... Or shoot pics... :banghead:

You guys are wearing out my pics or something :lol:, didn't work on mine today either! I saved the pic instead of linking to it so now it should work. I changed everyones links if they quoted the pic that didn't work.

Got the same problem here too... No pic... :broken: Now at least I understand the tappet and the wooden dowel trick... I had Taz's cam cover off to change the gasket but since we where working against time I never really got a chance to look... Or shoot pics... :banghead:

LMAO...:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lol::lol::lol::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao:the smiley with the stick and the machine gun:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sooo ..... last question ........ what does the tappet cover let you do ..... doesn't seem much space for doing anything apart from replacing the tappets ??? :shrug:

Well its not for replacing tappets... they come out through the crankcase after the cam is removed.

I got to see what was back there on mine under unfortunate circumstances...

Posted Image

thanks ISX your alright i dont care what White says about ya!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

--- Update to the previous post...

Well its not for replacing tappets... they come out through the crankcase after the cam is removed.

Posted Image

Well i wonder what the heck its for then???:shrug: and i see you got it off without removing the vp i had been told previously that it wouldnt come off unless that was removed!?!:shrug:

• Owner

thanks ISX your alright i dont care what White says about ya!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

--- Update to the previous post...

Well i wonder what the heck its for then???:shrug: and i see you got it off without removing the vp i had been told previously that it wouldnt come off unless that was removed!?!:shrug:

I don't know how he did it but I can't reach the front bolt behind the VP44... :shrug: The same applies to the 1st Gen with the VE pump you can reach the front bolt behind the pump... :shrug:

Posted Image

Access to freeze plugs/Replacing cam without pulling pan

• 5 months later...