• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering column gauge mount?

I don't really think that fits 2gen trucks. Autometer lists the 18018 for 03-07 Dodge, and 99-04 Ford SuperDuty trucks... I've never seen one of these in a 2G truck.. yet..

Yeah I was kinda wondering the same thing, but I guess a person could probably make it work...:shrug:

I'll look at my coworker's 2003 tomorrow, and compare to my cab's lines and such.. If it would work sufficiently in the 2g truck, then it's exactly what I'd want.. A definitely prefer something more in the line-of-site region, but I'm open.

Cool deal, let us know!:thumb1:

So I checked them out today.. there are subtle differences between the two. The main difference is that the overhead console in the 03 is more bulbous than the 01. The windshield arc looks very close to being the same.The rear view mirror on the 03 is about 6-7" from the top of the windshield, whereas the 01 is about 3-4".Here's the pic showing the two.. Top ones are of the '03, lower ones are of the '01.post-10339-138698175315_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very taken with the concept and the super clean install that Derek (thebullet83) did on his truck click here>> for pg 2 << of this thread. He hasn't gotten back to me about the possibility of his offering CNCing gauge pod blanks... which would have to be cut into the dash rim & sculpted. Admittedly the blanks are not a ready to eat item. I have my own manual lathe (WW2 era SouthBend) but making 4 exact duplicates would be time consuming. I'm looking at available parts & materials that might be close in size... using an old gauge I have on the bench to help visualize it. Russ

If you do, let us know what you find out!!:thumb1:

forgot to update, sorry guys.. It won't work. Well, it "would", but it requires relocating the rear-view mirror downward on the windshield. If you look at my pictures previously posted, you'll notice the 03+ mirror is much lower.. There isn't enough adjustment in the current position to accommodate the 3g style overhead mount. Not even close.

I'm studying Derek's pictures of his custom install, trying to see if the gauge face is surface mounted on the end of the cylinder... it appears to have some recess... His gauges themselves seem to have a slight bezel or shade. I was thinking of recessing to keep gauge reflections off the windshield. More measuring... I've been in the shop experimenting on my lathe with different available materials as a starting point. After a few tries I think I have come up with a tubing that will accept the gauge... at least the old temperature gauge I have on the bench. The gauge I have seems to be standard dimensions in front... not sure about the back depth. There is enough wall thickness & I have turned 1/4" counter bore recess for the gauge... after test fit, I think more recessing is needed. Going to this amount of trouble, I DON'T want reflections on the glass. Of the stock materials I tried, I think this is the best. The others were too bulky and the edge of the dash bezel install is & must be a very close fit. Edit: Deepened the counter bore to 1/2", subtract gauge rim leaves 1/4" of recess. I like it. I need to know the depth (length of cylinder) I need. At this point, I need to get my real gauges to fine tune the dimensions. Since the gauge pod will angle toward the driver... the back of the pod will bevel. I will need to allow for this in the pod length.

I seem to have successfully turned a workable gauge shell. I'm gathering coins so I can purchase my actual 4 gauge set... so I can make any dimensions adjustments for the exact correct gauges I'm going to use. If anyone is unclear... I'm modeling this after derek's slick custom install pictures >>> pg 2 <<<. To do this custom install the dash face bezel must be cut & the pods fitted and f'glassed in place. Definately not plug & play. Still, I think the blank gauge pods are a big step in the construction process. It's not as slick as derek's CNC programed production, but I can turn out blanks one by one. If others are interested, PM me. Otherwise, I'll quit being a post hog...

• Like 1