• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bosch Testing of Fuels...

Good information! I guess this begs the question of how much improvement does the 2 stroke oil we add to our diesel fuel improve the lubricity? I am pretty sure it definitely helps but how much I suppose there is no way of knowing without exhaustive testing. Heck, diesel fuel doesn't even smell like diesel fuel anymore. :confused:

• Owner

Good information! I guess this begs the question of how much improvement does the 2 stroke oil we add to our diesel fuel improve the lubricity? I am pretty sure it definitely helps but how much I suppose there is no way of knowing without exhaustive testing. Heck, diesel fuel doesn't even smell like diesel fuel anymore. :confused:

I got your answer the LiveOak... :thumbsup http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/hfrr/hfrr.htm

• Owner

Thanks Mike. I mix mine at 100:1. I would think that would be HFRR 460 or a little better.

Well your hitting that mark for sure... LOL Ok a little verification... If the fuel your getting was at typical standards 520 HFRR than if you mixed at 200:1 you would hit at (520-162) = 358 HFRR But being you doubling you doze to the chart then it would be roughly (520 - (162 x 2)) = 196 HFRR. So in simple nmath your covered well even...

• 1 month later...

Someone over at TDG said they new someone that works where they fill the rail car tankers at the refinery. Said they are only adding about 3gal of lubricty to a tanker. I don't know and can't verify how true this is, but it wouldn't supprise me if it were. I know lately I have been running a lttle more 2cycle like 1.2 oz per gal for the drier winter fuel. I have not been using the supposidly B5 I was getting for awhile now due to that stations prices are 50 cents a gal higher than the Flying-J in north Idaho. I would think since winter fuels, especially if its no.1that were getting around these parts, wouldn't it be better to up the doseage of 2cycle a little? My truck seems to like the added lubricity, as I can tell a slight difference in the engine noise and it runs smoother. No power loss that I can tell other than whats normal for winter fuel. Harry

• Owner

I'm starting to ask the local fuel stations if they are getting winterized or summer fuel... Found some stations are summer fuel already while others are not. As for the 2 cycle oil I've been down to as low as 100:1 mix rate but beyond that you start to see degrade in power / MPG's.From what I know the lubricant package is suppose to be added to the fuel at the time of filling the delievery truck. :confused: Railroads??? We don't have any railroad here anymore... `:(

Well, I found the thread at TDG, the guy was from Canada I found out from his signature. Heres a direct quote from his post: [My buddy works at a Shell refinery and he says in the amount of #2 diesel that would fit into a rail car, they only add about 3 gallons of lubricant as required by the government] So maybe its diferent in Canada, but I would imagine its not all that much different, since they are running the same vehicles as us. Harry

• Owner

Wow... That's scary... :wow 8| I still just look at Bosch testing back in 2002 with LSD and the failure rate... That says it all and why the VP44 fail so quickly even then... I don't think there testing fuel being delievered to the local station very offen if at all... :( Could you drop a link to that???

Michael, its in the 2008+ 6.4 Ford forum TDG, heres the thread:[ Winter Issues... ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) Bighurt ], post no.23 on page 3. Sorry thats the best I know how to forward this , unless I emailed it. Harry

• Owner

Michael, its in the 2008+ 6.4 Ford forum TDG, heres the thread:[ Winter Issues... ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) Bighurt ], post no.23 on page 3. Sorry thats the best I know how to forward this , unless I emailed it. Harry

Well now that captured... LOL http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/s ... stcount=23 (simple... click on the post number when the new window pop open copy & paste the address information from the browser. Then paste to the new post. ;)

• 9 months later...

Hey, Mike who is this "guest"?

Have them register as a member it will add to the creditability of there posts.

A few things that I've read raise some questions.

This test is a few years old and it was done with 500ppm or 700ppm?

Was this test done with raw fuel or had the additive package been added and who's additive package was it if one was added?

Has the additive package changed with ulsd?

ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels this standard went into effect January 1, 2005???

15PPM ULSD with 1% bio has the same lubricity as 500PPM dino.

A couple of comets

Crude is distributed by pipe line to the refinery and fuel is distributed from the refinery's to your local fuel depot's that are owned by various distributors by pipe line. It is at this depot that the additives are added. Our fuel is not distributed by rail car but by tanker truck to your local station.

If fuel wasn't distributed by pipe line our highways and rail would be clogged with tankers.

There are large pipe lines from Canada to the states bringing us crude from the tar sands.

We have a refinery close by and all of the different stations, shell, bp, sinclair, conoco ALL get there fuel at the same place. It is at the depot that the Co, adds the additives that make the fuel theirs.

• Owner

Hey, Mike who is this "guest"? Have them register as a member it will add to the creditability of there posts.

That was back in the days of the PHPbb forum and I had a script to clean up old members and delete them. so during the conversion to VBulletin in created Guest account to fill the post in...

i agree with 90% of what you said snofarmer. in oklahoma we have several refineries. the notable ones are phillips66 and valero. i believe these only deliver fuel to the stores in question. most no name places like 7eleven and quicktrip use the phillips66. i believe because of their location they are the cheapest in this area

• Owner

I would say there need to be new testing done on this but its not cheap. It took quite a bit funds wise from what I heard to get the test when DieselPlace.com did it. But since then it got quiet... I'm sure there are some companies producing better fuels out there but once again is the additive package being adding in proper amount ot the quanity of fuel? Is the fuel being testd for quality and HFRR score minimums? :confused: This could go on and on for a lifetime time... What is comes do to is that we known that all Bosch equipment requires 400 or less HFRR score. We know that most fuels today would rarely touch that number unless its BioDisel 2% or better. So it up to you as a owner to protect your vehicle the best was you can...