• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dyno Proven Power Gains

My brother gets the diesel power mag here every month and I haven't read it in at least a year (seems like CF people write it), but today I opened it up and found something worthy. They took a stock 95' 12V and dynoed it every time they touched something and it is pretty amazing. It was an auto trans truck. It had 277,000 miles on it.

Stock it is rated at 160HP/400TQ. Here is how their dynos turned out with nothing but free mods.

Posted Image

• Like 3

From the looks of it ISX it looks like you are dialed in as is... With your homemade wastegate controller, AFC and plate gone, block off plate to cover the hole. Funny part you ahead of the CF crowd and producing the most... :lmao:

I found out I can go to St. Louis and run it on the dyno for $75. Then driving down and back will cost me another $50. I don't see it happening. If everyone here donated less than a cup of coffee..:lol: They had the stock intake and exhaust on that thing too. Though they said running no air filter at all didn't do anything to the results, which is interesting. That means K&N must be embedded with nitrous molecules since it adds power :doh: I think mine could use more tweaking.

I got $25 for ya if you can get the rest :thumb1: Just a thx for all your help etc

• Owner

I found out I can go to St. Louis and run it on the dyno for $75. Then driving down and back will cost me another $50. I don't see it happening. If everyone here donated less than a cup of coffee..:lol:

They had the stock intake and exhaust on that thing too. Though they said running no air filter at all didn't do anything to the results, which is interesting. That means K&N must be embedded with nitrous molecules since it adds power :doh:

I think mine could use more tweaking.

AFe, K&N and S&B and all the other high price filters... Don't do a thing... As long as the intake of the turbo is free flowing and doesn't pull any vacuum (water column) then the filter setup is fine... Now as for big HP truck like 600 and up I would say yeah you need to open it out and use everything you could...

I got $25 for ya if you can get the rest :thumb1: Just a thx for all your help etc

I got better things to spend money on for now. He did say I get 3 runs though, not sure what I should change for each run. I can easily purge the fuel out and have it suck through a jar of 2 stroke at 128:1 to see if it really does add any power. Not sure what else I could do. Long time to think about it though.

AFe, K&N and S&B and all the other high price filters... Don't do a thing... As long as the intake of the turbo is free flowing and doesn't pull any vacuum (water column) then the filter setup is fine... Now as for big HP truck like 600 and up I would say yeah you need to open it out and use everything you could...

They make you feel good inside, which is what really counts :lol:

• 8 months later...

It seems they added to this truck.

[*]Ported 12cm turbine housing for more flow

[*]3 piece exhaust manifold

[*]Modified marine 370's for higher pop pressure

[*]Longer delivery valve springs to accomodate the injectors

[*]Timing set at 22*

[*]Rack plug mod to allow more rack travel

Now it dynos at 429 RWHP and 842TQ. I imagine the torque would be higher if it wasn't for the timing being set up for where the HP is at it's max. Boost was 42psi, EGT's hit 1500F. Apparently they still have the stock intake and exhaust.

It seems all the nit pickers call on what kind of dyno the tests were on. I would like to go to several in one day and compare. But still the nit pickers would say "but look at the barometric pressure and air temp difference"I understand in all factuality it will make a difference ever so slightly. To me a dyno is a good tool to tune and find a power base. I also fine the free tricks are the best. Nice post thanks.

I have also found the intake non-important in basically stock intercooled turbo diesel truck. I ran mpg comparisons with stock & drop in K&N... and no filter at all... no differences. I think folks are fooled because of old beliefs from gas engines.

I think it's a whole different world when you have a turbo. The engine drives it meaning the engine forces it to suck in air, you're using power to make it do that. A non-turbo engine is relying on nothing but luck and the vacuum from the cylinders, which I know the vacuum never sucks in 100% volume in the short time it has. Supposedly engines can be built to get over 100% of their volume in, formula 1 cars get in 120% with no turbo at all.