• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for some help on how to change a rear wheel hub on a 1996 3500

A friend had the lugs come loose driving down the road on the right rear wheels. The lugs ate up the holes in the dual wheels AND in the wheel hub. I tried doing a search in a number of places to try and find a nice write-up on this job so my friend will be able to do it prepared BEFORE he starts it. I realize there are a number of special tools, a DD 1241 (2 1/2 inch) hub to axle nut socket that is needed. Has anyone done this job before or know where a good write-up on this can be found? Many thanks in advance.

It's really easy, to be honest...

We were just talking about this a couple days ago. Let me see if I can find the link..

--- Update to the previous post...

Found it..

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3346-Help-replacing-rear-axle-hub-seal

It's not a walkthrough, but it's got some decent info. Seriously, though, the job isn't hard, especially if you have the right axle nut socket. I did mine with a hammer and chisel. ;)

Also, a 2.5" socket might be too small. I think it's 2-9/16" that it could also be..

• Like 1

Yep, real easy. Just pull the rims, pull the bolts holding the axle in and remove the axle. There is a small retainer holding the big nut on (in the 12 o'clock position). The nut is a 2 9/19" socket. I got mine at NAPA. Unscrew the nut and then you can slide the hub off. Be sure to catch the outer bearing! Just take a BFH and you can pound out the old studs. You should be able to pull the new studs into the hub with a lugnut and impact. Then just re-assemble and you are done!

Thanks Tom! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. :thumbup2:

The next question is: where can I buy an axle hub to replace the one being removed??? So far, all of the auto parts stores in the area are saying the rear axle hub is a dealer ONLY item. I have searched all over on line. Found LOTS of FRONT axle hubs but NO rear axle hubs yet. The Dodge dealer quoted my friend a price of $375 for the hub! That is crazy! We are looking at maybe replacing the entire rear axle with a used axle for that price. Haven't found one yet but am still looking. Anyone have any web links for the axle hub at a reasonable price??? :shrug::spend:

You are welcome, but why do you need a hub? If it is just the studs then you just need studs. About the only reason to replace the hub is if a bearing spun and gouged the hub.

The next question is: where can I buy an axle hub to replace the one being removed??? So far, all of the auto parts stores in the area are saying the rear axle hub is a dealer ONLY item. I have searched all over on line. Found LOTS of FRONT axle hubs but NO rear axle hubs yet. The Dodge dealer quoted my friend a price of $375 for the hub! That is crazy! We are looking at maybe replacing the entire rear axle with a used axle for that price. Haven't found one yet but am still looking. Anyone have any web links for the axle hub at a reasonable price??? :shrug::spend:

The problem is that all of the lug nuts came loose to the point that by the time my friend pulled over to check out the problem, there were only 2 lugs holding the dual wheel on and those two lugs were REALLY loose. The lug studs ate into the hub and elongated the holes VERY badly to the point that the studs had to be cut off with a torch due the nut seized up and the stud spinning in the hub hole. We are checking junk and salvidge yards as well as online possibilities.

Thanks Tom! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. :thumbup2:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1096028&parttype=1636&partkey=1146711&a=FRc1096028k1146711-2189605

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Dodge/Ram_3500/Timken/Wheel_Hub/1996/TMHA590018.html?ptc=S1171391678W45d204bec356b&pttidodgeram350019941999timkentmha590018113382896whhu

Hope this helps.

Those are front hubs.....:cry: I haven't been able to find any for sale from auto parts suppliers. Somebody must know of a source...[/QUOT

Sorry,My bad.:doh: Have you tried Inland Truck parts or looking for the nearest Dana dealer?

Found some for a 96 2500 on Ebay,might check with dealer to see if 2500/3500 are same part#

Search on Ebay 96 Dodge Ram 2500 Rear Hub Bearings flange axle wheel

Seller is Redlinear

Buy Now price is 22.50 his store had more for years 95,97.98 probly all the same

Worth a shot anyway

• 2 months later...

If the rear hubs are anything like the front hubs you not only want a BFH, but BFBB (big you know what breaker bar). Mine were so tight I had to use a 48" breaker bar AND a 5 foot pipe to break them lose. You will also want a huge torque wrench to tighten the hub down correctly. I can't remember exactly what the manual said for the front - I think it was on the order of 250 or 260 ft/lbs.

Fishtails, I sure hope you don't tighten the rear hub nuts like that!!! You will have lots of problems like the axle threads will strip, or the nut will strip if you are lucky, or the bearings will ruin the hub..........

Thanks for the advice MnTom. You are correct and I was wrong. For the 286 RBI axle the torque is only supposed to be 90 ft/lbs for the axle to hub bolt and 120-140 ft/lbs for the hub nut. I just remembered not being able to break my front hub nuts loose - thinking back I remember it was not hard to get them torqued back on. Breaker bar to get them off was only 24" and the pipe was only 48" too, so I was exaggerating a bit. I do remember jumping on the breaker bar a bunch of times after not being able to break it by pulling and then having to go out and buy the 48" pipe in a real ticked off mood!