• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

idle set to low????

so i have posted on other forums that im working on a truck im considering buying. its my uncles at the moment. its got alot of little problems im sorting through (thats what happens when things sit for 3 years) DETAILS- 1997 dodge 2500 std cab 2wd 5spd. BONE SOCK 166xxx. 215hp motor SYMPTOMS. its been 20-30 oF in eastern pennsylvania lately. ive been tinkering withmy uncles truck fixing it up. i started it the other day after letting the wait to start light die and buzzer go off, i cranked the truck and it took 3 cranks (2.5 more then my 1st gen :cool:) to start, fired and then just sputtered to shut down. tried her again cranked and then same thing, third time it fired idled like crap at around 400rpm and then settled out after 1 or 2 minutes to 500rpm resting place. QUESTION-ive read that the truck i described should idle at 780rpm. so is the low warm idle why it idles bad on cold start up????

so i have posted on other forums that im working on a truck im considering buying. its my uncles at the moment. its got alot of little problems im sorting through (thats what happens when things sit for 3 years) DETAILS- 1997 dodge 2500 std cab 2wd 5spd. BONE SOCK 166xxx. 215hp motor SYMPTOMS. its been 20-30 oF in eastern pennsylvania lately. ive been tinkering withmy uncles truck fixing it up. i started it the other day after letting the wait to start light die and buzzer go off, i cranked the truck and it took 3 cranks (2.5 more then my 1st gen :cool:) to start, fired and then just sputtered to shut down. tried her again cranked and then same thing, third time it fired idled like crap at around 400rpm and then settled out after 1 or 2 minutes to 500rpm resting place. QUESTION-ive read that the truck i described should idle at 780rpm. so is the low warm idle why it idles bad on cold start up????

Yes, the friction of a cold engine drags the idle way down, to the point of stalling. Just step on the pedal slightly and hold it at 800 or so for a little bit. You can also just drive it, get it up to operating temp and see what it idles at, I would set it between the 1000 mark and the mark below it, right in the middle. Supposedly that mark below the 1000 mark is 620. Mine will not run if I don't step on the pedal because my idle is set at maybe 600. Just make sure you set it with the engine warm. If it is set between those lines then cold idle should drop to that line, maybe a little lower but should still be able to run.

ISX-thanks for the quick reply i really appreciate it. im glad to see my theory was proven. now on to adjusting the idle. i have a diagram of the actual idle screw. as far as procedure goes i know that i get the truck to opperating temp. then do i set the idle with the truck running? sorry for the newbie questions, im coming from the first gen world to this p-pump and im basically learning all over again.

ISX-thanks for the quick reply i really appreciate it. im glad to see my theory was proven. now on to adjusting the idle. i have a diagram of the actual idle screw. as far as procedure goes i know that i get the truck to operating temp. then do i set the idle with the truck running? sorry for the newbie questions, im coming from the first gen world to this p-pump and im basically learning all over again.

It's just a fancy VE :lol: Yes you just leave it running, have someone in there tell you when it gets to where you want while you play with the screw. Or you can just mess with it, start it and see.. It's just a screw just like the VE, it's the same principle. You set it the same way. The pump is different in how it works but as far as the idle screw and you are concerned, they are the same.

To adjust the idle there is a screw on the back of the pump that you may or may not be able to see and is adjusted more by feel than any other way. Use a 10MM wrench to loosen the lock nut and adjust the screw. You want to see 750RPM with the engine fully warmed and the A/C on (might be difficult in the cold) with the transmission in gear if you have an auto. Without the A/C on you can set the idle to about 800 to 850 RPM and it will be OK. Also a little 'trick' to help start a cold 12v is to put a little pressure on the throttle when you go to start it.