• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission shift problem

i have o2 3500 47re was working great no problems was hooking to my trailer, looked and need to move just a little, pulled up, and then it would not shift back to revears. binds up shifter, idicator came back to drive but no farther, i unhooked sheft lever at transmission, shifter went freely back to park so i could turn key off, at first i could shift low second and drive by hand at the trans. that is as far as it would go. after i shifted it a couple of times. and tryed a little harder to see if it would jump past whatever was holding, it,. now lever moves freely, anyone know what i might find when i drop the pan, is their any common shift parts that fail inside, any help app. :neutral:

Sounds like the spool valve stuck and you stripped out a keyway or something. Time to pull the pan off and look and see. Will most likely have to pull the VB out to fix whatever the problem is. There is a small snap ring on the outer shift linkage shaft that needs to be removed for the VB to drop out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

had no shifting problems but went to change my filter and fluid and found pieces of a pretty big snap ring attached to the magnet on the bottom of the pan. any thoughts?

There are several big snap rings inside the tranny. Would be pretty hard to fix without doing a total tear down unless it came from the OD section then you just need to remove the t-case if its 4wd and remove the OD section which is 4 or 6 bolts can't recall right off but it will come right off the back of the tranny really simple and easy. then you can actually see the OD clutch pack and see if thats the snap ring, if thats not the one then a total tranny tear down is needed.

DalesCarCare: Have a look at this 47RE valve body R&R: http://www.dieselperformance.com/productManual/10304,16,17,18,19_-_Valve_Body_Installation1.pdf Ignore the upgrade parts where they want to add a diode as that is for the higher hydraulic pressures that come with the BD valve body. All you want to look at is the procedure and especially that snap ring tool that is so handy. You should be able to make one with tubing, a vise and a dremel tool(or small file).