• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

please tell me more about 2 cycle oil

I just now read about adding 2 cycle oil to my fuel but would like to know more.Seems that most guys doing this own 24 v engines.Mine's 12 v 1996 .. totally stock.Is there anything I need to know before I add 2 cycle oil? I think it was moparman who gave the 128:1 recipe, so I would go with that ratio.Another question: would I gain any MPG by turning my fuel plate back?I know most people are after more power, but my biggest concern is mpg. I'm getting 18-19 just tooling around town.Thanks

• Owner

I just now read about adding 2 cycle oil to my fuel but would like to know more. Seems that most guys doing this own 24 v engines. Mine's 12 v 1996 .. totally stock. Is there anything I need to know before I add 2 cycle oil?

Just don't mix other products with 2 cycle oil.

I think it was moparman who gave the 128:1 recipe, so I would go with that ratio. Another question: would I gain any MPG by turning my fuel plate back? I know most people are after more power, but my biggest concern is mpg. I'm getting 18-19 just tooling around town. Thanks

ISX is running completely without AFC and fuel plate and getting 25-27 MPG... But also running the 2 cycle oil.

Our 12v's only need some 2 stroke oil for the lift pump, but even then I think it needs very little lube added (if any) to keep it happy. My lift pump ticks every now and then but I found out you can tear it apart and put some grease on the plunger and it is quiet as ever. You can add 2 stroke oil if you want, I do sometimes as well. Nothing wrong with more lube in the system, but that is basically the only benefit I see. It might give you better mpg's but I am not sure of this, I seem to get the same mileage irregardless. Here is Mike's writeup on 2 stroke oil. Your right foot is the only thing that changes MPG's on a 12v. Timing might effect it but messing with the fueling will not do a thing, it only allows you to get less mpg IF you decide to use the extra fuel. Going 70mph takes the same amount of fuel to go that fast so all messing with the plate will do is allow it to have more power should you choose to use it. My truck from completely stock to where it is now has got exactly the same mpg irregardless of how far from stock it is now. I drive very consistently so always get the same numbers. Add some info about what truck you have (3/4 ton/1 ton, 4wd/2wd, etc.) so we can tell you what you should expect. 18-19mpg of just in town driving sounds right. You should get your best MPG at 55mph or so.

Thanks guys.

I may try a little oil, but leave all adjustments as they are.

A few more details about my truck:

3/4 ton '96 automatic, not sure of the rear end.

KDP fixed thanks to help from you guys.

180k miles.

I love my truck:thumb1:

--- Update to the previous post...

Thanks guys.

I may try a little oil, but leave all adjustments as they are.

A few more details about my truck:

3/4 ton '96 automatic, not sure of the rear end.

KDP fixed thanks to help from you guys.

180k miles.

I love my truck:thumb1:

oh yea... 2wd

• 2 weeks later...