• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge says the first major overhaul is at 300,000 miles 350,000 for the newer commmon rails what does this mean I dont know of anyone on this site that has done this do you even need to do anything I plan to adjusting the valves, replace the oil and waterpump's and pulling the head to inspect for damage/wear what are your guys opinions? sorry if this is in the wrong place I didnt know where to go with it.

• Owner

Ummm... Save some money... Just do a compression test (not a blow by) and see where your at before ripping apart a perfectly good engine. Most of these trucks will travel a long ways past 500K milestone before needing any kind of work. But the CR engine are known for serious problems with leaking injectors that cause engines to fail as early as 100K miles if not dealt with. So if you pull the injectors have the pop tested and do a compression test you save huge amount of money. You may want to talk these people first... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/milestone/milestones.htm These guys never had a overhaul yet... :smart:

• Like 1

Ummm... Save some money... Just do a compression test (not a blow by) and see where your at before ripping apart a perfectly good engine.

Yeah there is a link on here from STODG73 or someone on doing that More likley to have to replace tranny, AC , lift pump, injectors, accessories, carpet, mats , lights and paint before that ISB starts to crack, fault ;) Then when you go to get it overhauled .... you can get the block and head reworked and polished,ported and strengthened and take her to 600HP !!:hyper:

I kinda thought I didnt need to do anything except some simple tests and I supose the less you play with the less that can go wrong and at this point all I need is a turbo mine overheated :stuned: turbine is blueing and has a tiny crack only visible with a magnifying glass noticed when cleaning the outerwear and had the filter off it was a funny color so I cleaned it up with a scotch brite bad to find this white line and upon closer inspection only the part closest to the shaft is cracked maybee 2mm long im assuming the rest is a sign of stress :shrug: so now what do you guys sugest I run My list is what I want/kinda need due to the trailers I pull but it's basically 275 injectors or something to that aspect an airdog and drawstraw torn between a smarty or an edge comp box and I really dont know what I need turbo wise I thinking since its bad I might as well get one that optimizes future upgrades if you know what I mean I kinda like this one due to the 12cm housing but I'm not sure http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/industrial-injection/phat-shaft.htm#62 I dont know abot any of HTT turbos they all appear a little big for what I need but stock may just be best I dont know. sorry again if this is in the wrong place

so now what do you guys sugest I run My list is what I want/kinda need due to the trailers I pull but it's basically 275 injectors or something to that aspect an airdog and drawstraw torn between a smarty or an edge comp box and I really dont know what I need turbo wise I thinking since its bad I might as well get one that optimizes future upgrades if you know what I mean I kinda like this one due to the 12cm housing but I'm not sure http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/industrial-injection/phat-shaft.htm#62 I dont know abot any of HTT turbos they all appear a little big for what I need but stock may just be best I dont know. sorry again if this is in the wrong place

Depending on funds and whta you want to do ?? :shrug: But sounds like you want something with a little more GRRR but not too much Think about Gauges QUAD/EDGE ......... smarty ok - especially features ....... but the other two give more power and have guages built in for same price AIRDOG RV275 -> +75 injectors That phatshaft is too big for your fuel. Save yourself some money and buy a 60/60/9 he351cw off a 04.5 - 06 (I think) dodge ram ..... and fit to your truck - its a NICE turbo - cost $300 used else if you want new - get a SUPER B ..... 57/65/12 .... can be upgarded later on compressor side if you go bigger injectors to a 62/65/12 :thumb1:

Ummm... Save some money... Just do a compression test (not a blow by) and see where your at before ripping apart a perfectly good engine. Most of these trucks will travel a long ways past 500K milestone before needing any kind of work. But the CR engine are known for serious problems with leaking injectors that cause engines to fail as early as 100K miles if not dealt with. So if you pull the injectors have the pop tested and do a compression test you save huge amount of money. You may want to talk these people first... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/milestone/milestones.htm These guys never had a overhaul yet... :smart:

I did,but only because the block cracked(a 53) that was at 453k (block cracked at 425k)long story(original hard parts,new rings,bearings,head job:woot:). But any way did'nt start pulling hard until the mid 300's.:cummins:

I did,but only because the block cracked(a 53) that was at 453k (block cracked at 425k)long story(original hard parts,new rings,bearings,head job:woot:). But any way did'nt start pulling hard until the mid 300's.:cummins:

So what did that cost ??? And any issues after rebuild ??