• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Super HX40 or He351cw

Hey guys.Got tired wondering which was better.HX35, HE351cw or Super HX40.So ---- bought a HX35 (Im an auto running a HY35) and sold it without putting it on. But have now bought both a Super HX40 and a he351cw. Going to feel the differences for myself and post results here - both spool and EGT and boost/feel pressures.Took my hy35 off today. Bolted on my HX40 with new DP to find I am 4.5" short ..... due to elbow ..... so going to have to get the DP extended during week and put back on. Will update when I do.Then it will be off in 2 weeks maybe and put on the he351cw - will update on that too.For a funny side bit- I was yanking and yanking on the 4th bolt of the t3 flange. ... thinking man this is hard. Penetrating oil the whole bit. Until finally someone came by and had a go himself .... stopped ... scratched his head and then he was like "we (you) are doing it the wrong way ......." :doh::lmao2:Lefty Loosy :)

• Staff

I vote you like the 40 better, about 9 lb/min more and a better turbine wheel, thou it will spool a little slower.

--- Update to the previous post...

The Super 40 is also good to at least 40 psi, while the 351 will make 40 it starts to get hot above about 35-37.

• Like 1

:lmao::lmao::lmao2: Same weak shaft then I would guess.

Yeah there are a lot of combos I found out - but its to do with the fins and blades on the both the compressor side and exhaust side. So 7 blade 60mm inducer and a 10 blade exhaust/exducer. Flows more air and better spoolup than HX40. Thats about as much as I got. As far as shafts - probably ......... but the guys I spoke with said as long as you don't abuse them and bark them they handle the abuse pretty well :) (Maybe I will paint a http://www.supermantv.net/images/finallogo.jpg on it ) :):thumb1:

I think you will like them both. They are fairly similar, but that little housing on the he351 is going to build pressure and heat faster. From the people who I have talked to the hx40 is a little slow coming on. I really liked the hx35/40 hybrid I ran (maybe that's why it's still in my garage?:lmao:), but I had way too much fuel for it. Now i'm on turbo number 4 :doh:.... GOOD LUCK

Woo Hoo - well the 40 is on :) Took a LOT longer and a LOT harder than I thought.Mainly due to losing the elbow (its a 4" flange) - ....... I added 4 1"2 inches to the HX40 DP after last week ..... welded .... then when I put it on - it was too much .... couldn't seat it all the way back .... and after struggling 2x for 2 hours ..... had to cut 2" off.After that got her in ...... but its tight and HEAVY t do by yourself - really could have used a friend (ISX come to to PHX plz).That BAND clamp is hard also - I had about 1/4" out trying to mate the back of the turbo and the DP. Eventually I just cranked on it and it pulled it together as again the DP was too tight once it was seated to move - phew :) 6 hours all told. If the measurements on DP would have been correct - probably 3.Anyway - took it for a spin after a shower .......... just gone dark .... initital observations Pulls a lot harder. Quite noticeable over 20 psi.Only took to around 32 psi.Only a SMALL amount of lag ....... but suprisingly little from having gone from a 9 EH to a 16.EGT's - this was the suprising bit ....... not sure I could notice ANY difference. If anything it may have been slightly higher ...... I kinda expected that under 10PSI .......... but not at around ~20-30. Will have to monitor more tomorrow.All in all - a pretty good upgrade for what the cost ~ $600-$700.:thumb1:

Glad it's on. How long have you been in PHX? I just left Tucson (Marana), where I spent the last 8 weeks.

WHAT !! you could have been my new PHX phone a friend since I left MO (was around 2 hours from ISX ) :):lmao: Yeah - will have to play around it with it a bit more -- any thoughts on the EGT observations ?? You got your toys on yet ? :burnout:

• Staff

Not too surprising on the EGT's, the HX40 will be a lot slower to spool, so the EGT's will rise quicker and will take longer for the turbo to get back ahead of them. I would say that in day to day driving if they stay the same your good, where when towing and the turbo is always loaded they will probably drop a little. Nope the toy's aren't on yet. I just got home Thursday night so this weekend is with the family, next weekend I have a 3 day date with the truck and some parts!

• 1 month later...

I am running the he351cw and I like it pretty good. It lites up pretty fast. I drilled out the wastegate to 1" so it can flow a little better.

Send me a PIC and details of what you used for your intercooler piping can you ?? Did you go over or under the intake piping ?? I was plannign on going over ...... with basically 2 x 90's Not sure of the size of the hose I need to attach to teh bottom of the intercoooler Going to switch out my HX40 to the he351cw and see ....

I came off with 2 90's. I also had to modify a used 3rd gen down pipe. Then I have also played around with the wastegate rod. I will see if I can round up some pics. There are a couple of good write ups on dtr and competition diesel.

Yeah I have the hx40 dowpipe - so got that covered with adapter Thinking I will need 2x 90 's and some 3" piping inbetween to make it go over the BHAF intake.