• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Cooper Tire Size

dorkweed

Twas board the other day, and clicked onto the Cooper Tire website. I found out they have a new tire size in the Discoverer ATR style in 17" rim sizes...................LT275/70 17E. Just a bit taller and wider for the folks that don't want the "mexican" style stupid wide tires.

I wish Cooper made a LT255/80 17E or even a LT255/85 17E tire. I know all you young "pups" like the "fat and wide" tires, but if you talk to anyone that makes a "living" off road: and not just recreationally, you'd know that the un-cool pizza cutter style tires rule!!!! Hence my wish for the tire sizes I mentioned in this paragraph!!!:2cents::2cents::cool:

• Staff

Hey I am young and have always, and will always love the pizza cutters.. IMHO a 255/80/17 is the perfect size on these trucks, other that tire wear I love mine... Thou 700+ ft/lbs to the ground on an 8K lb truck that tows and see's lots of dirt roads is hard on tires. BFG also has a 275/70/17, and it has caught my eye several times. I have thought about ditching my 2" level for a 1" level and going to that size on my next set of tires if my 255 KM2 don't last as long as I want.

I was brought up in the 70s era of "wide oval" tires... 70 series. I admit I like the look of them. 60 series were the hot item back then... ok in superwide tires. I think the current tread to everything having low profile tires is just NUTS! First off, the shorter sidewalls are more prone to sidwall damage from road hazzards. I really object to newer vehicles coming with lower profile tires... trapped into it by the wheel sizes & fender clearances.

I know you guys are correct that narrower tires have less rolling resistance... but I'm just not ready to go in that direction either. I know the day is coming when I'll have to invest in new shoes.

Thanks for the thought provoking conversation.

Kind of like you Dorkweed I'm going to ditch the stock 265/75 R16's for good now and stay at 235/85 R16... So far been a really good tire. Need to get these 265/75 R16 Cooper STT tires burned off... I'm going to use new firewood season to hopefully get rid of them. :rolleyes:

Mike, when I bought my '99, LT245/75 16E was the stock size. I don't know if they change rims between my old truck and yours, but when I put 265's on my '99 stock rims, they never quite sat or drove right. Truck always felt "loosey goosey"!!! AH64ID, I really wish Cooper made the Discoverer ATR's in LT255/80 17E..........I think the dually crowd would beat a path to their doors!!!!! For me, I'll never buy Goodyear tires or BFG tires. I've had to many issues with them and too many folks I know that tow have had issues with them. Let me back up here..........not all BFG tires............just the AllTerrain TA KO's.....................death wobble starter kit IMHO!!!!!! Don't know what it is about these tires, but if you read enough stories about DW, the BFG AllTerain TA KO's are involved in probably 75%+ of the cases!!!! I'm gonna e-mail Cooper and ask if they've got any interest in the LT255/80 17E. I'll let y'all know if I get a response.

• 2 weeks later...

AH64ID, I went onto the Toyo website this AM. Clicked onto the M-55 section. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe that Toyo has changed the tread design of the M-55's. It's certainly not the same tread pattern as of about 2-3 years ago.....................the pictures on the website anyhow......................at least when I was checking out tires then!!! Lemme know what you think!!:shrug: