• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help!! Fuel Pressure Gauge Install trouble

My buddy was off today so while I was at work he took my 01 Ram to install FP gauge. He put the required banjo bolt in the bottom of fuel canister complete with snubber, then attached the plastic line fird up the truck and it sucked in air instead of blowing out fuel!! Why doesn't it pump the fuel/air out when running or cranking over? It actually sucks in air and the lines need to be bled. Any help? I am not running an isolator.Arcwelder

How did he get the bolt in the bottom of the canister? I thought it went in the top. Did you try bumping the starter (not starting it) and see if you get any pressure? If you didn't get any then your LP is dead.

How did he get the bolt in the bottom of the canister? I thought it went in the top. Did you try bumping the starter (not starting it) and see if you get any pressure? If you didn't get any then your LP is dead.

No, the 01 bolt is in the bottom of the canister. The older models with aluminum tops tap off the top. Mine is plastic on top. The LP is working but we keep losing prime when we go to bleed the air out of the line at the gauge, and can,t figure out why.

post-10496-138698176572_thumb.jpg This is how I did mine, you can see the banjo bolt, short nipple, 90* elbow, then snubber hose, which goes to the pressure sensor. He may have left out or reused the old banjo bolt washers, if so they need to be replaced.

I hooked mine (before the big line kit) at the VP44. This is where you are to hook it up during psi testing anyway. Use the banjo bolt also but in this localion. You have to use new washers and bleed the line with the FP. Note while i was installing my gauges, the lift pump quit working. Not that one has to do with the other but when i went to fire it up the was no pumping action from my pump and had to replace it w/ and Airtex then. To bleed the line try this. Turn the key just until you bump the starter, this will let the fuel pump run for about 25 seconds, you may have to do this a couple of times because you filter can is empty. After you have blead them it might run a liitle rough until the air is completely removed.

Well, we went over everything tonight and like Mike said we came to the same conclusion: low LP pressure. My truck runs and starts great so I hope that it is a very recent failure and that my Vp44 is still alright. I have a ScanGaugeII installed and it hasn't thrown any DTC's yet:pray: I have had a new FASS pump for about a year now as well as a FP gauge but haven't gotten around to put them in, so the truck is parked until Saturday which is when it will be installed. I am moving my family to Alberta for 6 months and we will be living in our 32 ft. Spree Travel trailer so my truck needs to be in top notch shape!!Thanks for all of your guys help. I am running the same setup for the FP gauge as you guys are. Will post pics on Sat. when I'm done!!Arcwelder