• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Right on axle.... front right .....

We know all about that switch don't we :lmao:

It's the one marked "4wd Light Switch." I think you don't have to take anything off to take that out, just pull the connector off and unscrew it, go get a new one and screw it back in. Easiest fix in the world. To make sure it actually is the switch though, you can measure the resistance between the 2 pins on the switch, when you press the button on the bottom of the switch, it should read 0 or so ohms, and be infinite when you release the button. Another way would be to take the connector off, then jumper the 2 holes on the connector with a paper clip or something, this simulates 4WD operation and your light should come on. If it comes on, you know you just have a bad switch, which seems quite common.

Posted Image

• Like 1

great guy's,that should be an easy one!!:hyper:

Yeah sorry - would have posted more but it was late at night. ISX gave you everything though ........ and he's the man to speak with if you get a little deeper and its something else - he fixed mine :thumb1: Only cause it can be 1 of about 5 parts - but bridging the switch will show you if its working (console light).

Before you rush out and buy anything - check a few things ......when in 4x4 is your front drive shaft engaged ? When your in 2HI - is it disengaged (mine wasn't) - just put it in 2H and rotate the shaft with handsMine actually turned out to be the vacuum actuator on top of the transfer case was not allowing the shift forks to move -> so they couldn't engage/spline properly the 4WD and front axle.ISX had to replace my actuator ($20) and CAD (thing it was like $90) ........... So didn't pick up if you had the CAD mechanism ....... but if you do you might want to do a couple more checks first ....... IS will explain it more/better - so wait for him :):thumb1:

Before you rush out and buy anything - check a few things ...... when in 4x4 is your front drive shaft engaged ? When your in 2HI - is it disengaged (mine wasn't) - just put it in 2H and rotate the shaft with hands Mine actually turned out to be the vacuum actuator on top of the transfer case was not allowing the shift forks to move -> so they couldn't engage/spline properly the 4WD and front axle. ISX had to replace my actuator ($20) and CAD (thing it was like $90) ........... So didn't pick up if you had the CAD mechanism ....... but if you do you might want to do a couple more checks first ....... IS will explain it more/better - so wait for him :):thumb1:

Actually yours was everything. The switch was bad, the CAD actuator was bad.. But John is right about the testing, it could be staying in 2WD if it has vacuum issues. This might help you http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/cad/cad.htm

tonight I'll pull the switch out do I need to drain the diff. oil? Everything 's good I can go from 4x4 to 2x4 no problem but no light on the dash.

If you're sure that part of it is working, then yeah just pull the switch. I think the oil is below the switch so you don't have to drain it. Just unscrew and screw the new switch in.
  • Like 1