• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A/C Evaporator Core - Replacement

Ok Gang... I just got my replacement evaporator core from the local NAPA store. (Lifetime warranty - No cost) So when I go to pull the dash out I'm going to grab the video camera and record out the whole affair. Show you that pulling the dash is really easy on a Dodge Ram! :thumb1:

subscribed to this one hey - I thought you did this like 6 months back ???

• Owner

subscribed to this one hey - I thought you did this like 6 months back ???

Yes I did last year at this same time... But the core has failed... It's leaking... I pressureized the system with compressed air and ran the A/C to move the dye around. Then shut it all down and watch with a black light in a dark shop and never found any green dye in the engine bay area. So this means the evaporator is leaking again... :doh: I even pulled a vacuum back on it and checked and it loses 5 in/mg in about 10 minutes time. So it a good sized leak... So now that I got the new core I'll grab the video camera and record the re-do of this... And you guys will find out its easy as pie to do... :smart: (Serously!)

• Owner

Video is done...

It's 350 MB long and will take me a bit of time tonight to upload to YouTube. Now the video is from the re-assembly process so I'm sure you guys and gals could see how it comes apart and goes back together. So the video start from the point of the new evaporator core was installed in the HVAC box and re-assembly from that point to done...

So hopefully I remember to upload the file before I head to bed. :ahhh:

--- Update to the previous post...

Click and enjoy... :hyper:

• Owner

Well as for the evaporator both of then shown no sign of dye on the outside.

Mopar Icon Notes
Remember the UV dye only last a few hours after being exposed to air. The green will dissappear in about 4 hours after leaking out of the system.
Is there a pic or schematic that shows the evaporator and heater core together ?

post-2-138698177406_thumb.jpg

Well as for the evaporator both of then shown no sign of dye on the outside.

Mopar Icon Notes
Remember the UV dye only last a few hours after being exposed to air. The green will dissappear in about 4 hours after leaking out of the system.
Is there a pic or schematic that shows the evaporator and heater core together ?
I remember you saying that (the dye) ..... so I rubbed some of mine on my battery cover ..... and its still visable after 2 weeks ...... must have the "aussie strength" - hahaha *joke* Yeah thanks for the pics - I remember that now from the 1st time - So the blower is actually closest to the evaporator - I would have thought it blows directly over the heater core - but guess its more elaborate than that. So is it holding a vacuum now all said and done ??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks VERY much for this video Mike! :thumb1:I've got a blend door issue that I'll probably need to access the top of the box to deal with, if not remove the box, so it's very good news to see it's really not a 37 hour job entailing complete dash and cluster removal. My only pain point will be that I didn't make my shifter stick removable, I've got to pull my cover plate and pull it off the trans. Maybe a good excuse to fix that. Anyway, thanks again!