• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MPG loss towing minimal trailer

I don't have numbers but I know my MPG takes a dive. Since my overhead is still accurate (stock) I habitually leave it on... & see an immediate loss in the AVE MPG. I have heard similar comments from others. In my case, the trailer is a simple 16' single axle landscaper's trailer. No brakes. It does have the expanded metal mesh ramps. It I'm running empty, I can & have laid the ramps forward flat on the deck with a tiedown, though never checked MPG like that.

Posted Image

I'm not hauling hay anymore but this is the only pict I have available. It does give a good idea of the trailer & the amount of nose high angle.

I do notice the the trailer is still a bit "nose high" despite the 4" drop on the hitch insert. I had the insert & it works. I wonder if the trailer is catching air underneath the way a lifted truck does...

I have regreased & adjusted the wheel bearings but was unremarkable.

I find it hard to believe that such a nothing trailer has a significant impact on MPGs.

That mesh ramp may as well be solid at speed. So much turbulence that air really can't pass through it. I don't notice any change in mileage once I hitch up regardless of load. Empty 4500 or with 12k on the deck has less than a 1mpg impact. With such a light trailer in your case it HAS to be that big ramp though. You're probably only towing 1000#, but it's a big wall too.

My road trip last year with the Toy Hauler... was in the 9-10 range. I don't like that mpg but I understand the truck was working, hauling that billboard at highway speed! (~60 all highway, Mass Pike & NY Thruway). It just seems like a big hit for the light trailer. Running empty, I'm normally in the high 16's to 18's on happy occasions. I'd like to understand & hopefully improve the mpg differences. Like how much is friction... how much is windage??? Anybody have experience with these? AirTabs http://www.airtab.com/main.html If they worked, wouldn't over the road truckers all be using them?

• Staff

2nd gens must have more accurate OH's that 3rd gens, mine is off by about 15% stock. I tow a similar trailer once a year just over 525 miles round trip. There is a lot of elevation and about 100 miles of dirt road in the trip. The trailer has 24-26 bales on in going in, and is empty coming out. I generally get about 14 going in and 15.5 coming back. The same trip without a trailer, but a bed full of hunting gear, gets me 16-17.

• Like 1

Maybe I've just been lucky but every time I hand figured MPG, it agreed with the overhead. At 55K miles, I still have the OEM rubber on it & I've not got the XZT+ installed yet... so that may change. If it does, and I expect that it will, I'll miss it. On a trip, I can right foot better than the cruise & a readout confirms how I'm doing.I am considering getting a hitch insert with more drop... Wondering if leveling the trailer would cut the drag.

Russ, you may find that your trailer will pull a little better when it is level, but your mileage won't change much. The largest factor for towing economy is the wind resistance. I have had two different fiver trailers and the taller they are the less mileage I get. They both weighed about the same too.