• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transfer case leak

Heydumb question - but curious on ideasOne of the bolts at back of my transfercase is leaking more ATF. Its one of the black hex bolts that holds the tail housing (where rear drive shaft goes into) to the main part of the TC. So what are easy fixes options ?? Was thinking1) New bolt ....... *shrug* might provide a better seal2) Some gasket maker ?? But thinking most will come out when I torque it down ? 3) Some thread tape ?? Seems to be a good seal elsewhere with no leaks ....... :thumb1:

I don't think replacing the bolt will do much, and this is a strange leak location. Are you sure the leak is coming from the bolt, or is that just where the drip is falling from? If it is the bolt that's the source of the leak, I'd drain the t-case, pull the bolt out and put some RTV (gasket in a tube) on the threads and under the bolt head. Then reinstall and torque to spec, give it a day to cure the RTV, and service the t-case back up.

Look at the top side of the t-case where the 2 case halvers meet at the top passenger side, the sealer that is used is known to crack and it will weep out the top as thats where the oil is slung to and it will run down the back side and look like what you describe. I have been needing to pull mine apart to reseal the case halves also, doesn't drip on the ground but leaks just enough to keep it wet and collect dirt.

I don't think replacing the bolt will do much, and this is a strange leak location. Are you sure the leak is coming from the bolt, or is that just where the drip is falling from? If it is the bolt that's the source of the leak, I'd drain the t-case, pull the bolt out and put some RTV (gasket in a tube) on the threads and under the bolt head. Then reinstall and torque to spec, give it a day to cure the RTV, and service the t-case back up.

Yeah I think this is going to be my best quick option without taking it off. I might try and do it first - 'wet' -> but don't think it will work.

Look at the top side of the t-case where the 2 case halvers meet at the top passenger side, the sealer that is used is known to crack and it will weep out the top as thats where the oil is slung to and it will run down the back side and look like what you describe. I have been needing to pull mine apart to reseal the case halves also, doesn't drip on the ground but leaks just enough to keep it wet and collect dirt.

This is exactly what I thougth was happenign so I spent an hour cleaning the TC up last week. No other ATF apart from the bolt. No leaks from above or anywhere else on TC. I cleaned around teh bolt thinking it was comming from the gasket and if you sit there long enough you can see it come out around the head of the bolt. will recheck tho - to be sure

• 2 weeks later...