• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

"5 MPH" Bumper

I'm working on building a "5 MPH" bumper for the dually. The unit is made of 5"x5"x3/16" square steel tubing. The project will take me a couple of weeks to finish, but from the progress I've made so far, I'm really happy with the results. I had to stop at this point due to beer overload LMAO! I'm not finished with it by any means. Any input is appreciated Posted Image.

post-11025-138698178263_thumb.jpg

post-11025-138698178269_thumb.jpg

post-11025-138698178275_thumb.jpg

post-11025-13869817828_thumb.jpg

post-11025-138698178287_thumb.jpg

post-11025-138698178293_thumb.jpg

post-11025-138698178301_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The bumper on my 79 C30... caught 3 cars. I had to rustoleum every couple of years. Only damage in the 20 years I had it, a garage once busted my trailer plug when they pushed it.

Posted Image restoration in progress

Posted Image

I always liked the look of that bumper on a serious truck. Here shown with my 5th wheel Scamper Camper, my home between marriages. (now long gone) Second photo before the cab off restoration.

It was fabbed of channel iron, a plate welded on the back for the lic plate recess. A section of pipe was fitted to the ends to round them. Originally mounted with 3 huge bolts each side. The first time I was rear ended, the bolts on one side sheared. We put it back with 4 bolts each side & welded stops that butted the frame. The welder fabbed the 2X2 hitch insert & it was never as good a fit as Reese. I regreted not buying & welding a manufactured insert... or getting a better fabricator. As I said, the trailer plug was damaged once so might have been better located.

Thank you for your input and pics flagmanruss! Channel iron is good stuff to use for a bumper, depending on thickness. Sounds like you've got some pretty thick iron for your unit. My bumper is only 3/16" thick, but is tubular. I use 1/2" Grade 8 genuine Caterpillar bolts and nuts to hold the bumper to the frame, 4 bolts per side. I have 5/8" Grade 8 Caterpillar nuts and bolts if the need arises, but after I'm done with the gussets on the bumper, I may not need the 5/8" bolts :) At this point, my dad(who has a tendency to overbuild stuff) and I feel like the frame is the weak point. I'll be addressing that in the future. Thanks again guys!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...