• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

K&N filter good or bad for 2001 Dodge Cummins?

i think you will find the same advice here. i ran a k&n in mine for 8.5 years and never weemed to have a problem. cleaning was pain. i kept it well oiled, but you canover oil them and that can gum up your turbo. mine is still nice and clean. i was a skeptical when i bought my first one because you can see thru it when you hold it up to the light. but it did seeem to catch the dirt preety well. i think the dirt you cant see is what disturbs everyone and when you consider youcan see thru it i can understand why. i have come to know and trust the people i talk to here and switched to a BHAF. it is a dry filter, you cant see thru it, it is very easy to install, eliminates the stock filter box(i had to grease my filter seal to get a good seal, another negative) and i am convinced it is a better filter. folks here are getting 75k to 100k out of one, so the cost is not bad. so iguess i am a convert to the BHAF.

I had a k&n drop in filter for about a year. It didn't do anything useful. I threw it away & went back to pleated paper that I can't see through. K&N made their name in race gas engines... which expect to be torn down regularly & they work at keeping birds & bumble-bees out of the intake. The Cummins engine should outlast the truck it is in... a totally different situation. Actually the deep pleat paper filters from later years gives more filter area... It's the filter box that is restrictive. The simplest thing is to swiss cheese the airbox & put in the better paper filter.IMHO, "cold air intakes" are also a carry over from gassers & not nearly as realivant to INTERCOOLED Turbo Diesels as intercooling reduces the temperature of the incoming charge.

I don't have proof, as this is what was told to me second hand. But it kinda makes you wonder why John Deere, Cat, and most industrial manufactures don't use K&N style elements. The "Story" from a diesel guy I met. A few years ago a local N. Colorado trucking/delivery company bought K&N filters for their fleet. About 1-2 years later, they needed a bunch of new engines. When torn down, their engines had polished cylinder walls. Trucking company sued K&N for destroying their engines, K&N settled out of court, with the agreement that the trucking company would keep their experiences private. My personal opinion, K&N is a great filter for a fuel injected race engine to keep the big pieces of dirt out, but not something I want on an engine that I depend on. Not only does it take more effort than a BHAF to keep maintained, but I can't believe that it catches the fine particles.