• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I must be losing it.

Lately I have been getting out of the diesel scene and turning my eye to the 6spd manual 1500's and dakota's. I am finding my truck to be needed less and less as time goes by, nevertheless, it is nice having a long bed truck that gets amazing mileage. But a 4x4 truck would also be nice. So I need some input. I started looking at the 6spd V6 1500's and have not found anything suggesting those came in 4wd's, or atleast I can't find one on any for sale website (ebay, autotrader). I want a V6 since I want it to be able to pull off some good mileage numbers when unloaded, however, a 1500 6spd 4x4 seems to only come in a 4.7 V8. Now the dakota.. My brother has a 97 and it handles good but has no room at all. I went and sat in a new one today and had never been in something so perfect. It was very roomy, yet was not a "large" vehicle. Those come with the very same V6 or the same V8. So what should I get? I do about 50,000 miles a year on the highway, hardly with any load at all.. I am steering clear of automatics because all I think about is dodge's reputation with them, and a 6spd with 4wd [lo] would give me 12 gears worth so no matter what I would be able to find a gear that would work, unlike the NV4500's big jump from 3rd to 4th.. Oh and if I get rid of my dodge it will merely be going from me to my dad for some cash since he won't let me sell it cause it pulls his trailer so good >:) So whats your alls input?

• Owner

No actually your not losing it. You're following me down the same trail really... I'm switching away from my Cummins more so and trying to switch into driving my Mom's 96 Dodge 5.9L gasser. Gasoline is cheaper but only if the MPG start to rise on this 96 beast. But my problems is that I drive short trips and never really used so it need a good long trip some where so it can get the crud blown out if it.But back your post... I would aim for a V6 or 5.2L from what I'm seeing. The 5.2L is doing some wonderful MPG numbers from what I'm finding on other forums. (16-19 MPG).

I can't say you're losing it either... I love my 2500 CTD. With my disability (easier entry/exit) & fuel prices... I usually drive my 97 Cirris @27 mpg. I really try to drive the CTD weekly, just to keep it limbered up but most often don't get it done. (If my legs are not rested I can't even get into the truck!) I don't need a heavy hauler anymore.I don't pretend to be up on new trucks (that I can't afford anyway)... but reasonably tall rear gears with as many speeds as possible will get 'er done. I had a 84 Chevy C10... I was pretty green then. It had a 305/auto & 307 rear ratio. Supposedly did good EPA mileage... maybe on a dyno... not on the street. It was not happy towing a light trailer with 2 horses. I added a flex fan to stop the overheat on long grades, trans cooler, cat delete... finally had a the ratio changed. 3.55 I think. It was much more driveable, got the same MPG, shifted up sooner. I've found normal stock ratios to be best... the 4.10 in my 2500/CTD was a mistake unless you're going to bigger rubber.

Well it seems to be a war here. I see 10 cents cheaper on diesel vs. gas then go a mile and I see it exactly vice versa. But I still hate seeing my dodge start every winter day not being plugged in. I got a different apartment on the ground though so I can plug it in now. Anyhow I went to a big city and found but one dakota. Ever since I sat in one I gave up looking at any Ram's, especially since they don't seem to make a 6spd 4wd model. I have found several dakotas that fit that criteria on autotrader for $8-15k so at least they depreciate nicely, since I can only afford it when they hit rock bottom prices LOL It is really ticking me off that I have only seen automatics and only seen 7 dakotas out of 4 dealerships.. I read people are turning around 20mpg out of them on the highway so thats good. I think those colorados get up to 25mpg with those I-5's but I can't bring myself to buy a chevy. We'll see if I can test drive a dakota next time I look at one.

Yeah I have yet to see a 6spd one, or a V6 one. There is a 6spd 1500 here though. I am going to test drive one of the dakotas and that 6spd 1500 today. I will get some pics of them.

I don't know about the later ones but I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 5spd. Its a regular cab short bed truck with the 3.9l V6. It routinely pulls 12-13mpg in town and 14-15mpg highway with no additional weight. Its been looked over by dealers, independent shops, and myself to diagnosis why the mileage is so poor and no one has been able to fix it yet. It has always had a tiny "pop" in the exhaust that comes and goes but it only occurs when shifting. However I like the truck. It doesn't have pulling power, or speed but its easy to maneuver in cramped parking lots and does great in the snow. Not to mention it rides 10 times smoother than the Ram.On the other hand my Ram 3500 has the pulling power, speed, and mileage. My Ram has been pulling 17-18mpg which is mostly city with a few goes down the highway at 55mph. If I were to get another truck right now I think I would probably go with the 24-valve 2500 4x4 with the club cab and a short bed.

• Owner

Did you get the "Death Flash" ???The Death Flash is a flash upgrade (or downgrade) that reduces timing to prevent knocking. I've been reading up and finding out the death flash is a major issue when it comes to power and MPG issues. But is does reduce the ignition knoc from low octane fuels. Now for the solution a lot of guys are getting programmer like SuperChips and the like to over-ride the "Death Flash"Hmmm... You did know I was studing up on gasser now did you??? 8| >:) ;)

My brother has a 2000 3.9 4x4 sport 5spd and his does the same thing. Seems most people are buying new dakotas cause they like their old ones but the good thing is they all say the new ones get better mileage. My brothers gets 15mpg no matter what, he put a receiver ball on it and pulled a 30ft camper frame around (camper was rolled so we tore everything but the frame off, so its virtually a flatbed) and although it tore up the transfer case (go figure) he still got 15mpg. It is so worn out that I think it just gives it the max amount of fuel (15mpg worth) all the time cause you don't notice any difference if you push 1/2" or push it to the floor. It is a dream to drive though. As for the new ones, dealerships were all busy and I got but one dealership to help me out and the one dakota they had, had a down payment on so I couldn't drive it. But I got pictures of some key aspects of them, these are ALL 4 door dakotas. Not sure if I like the turn knob 4wd though. I hate hearing those things jam into 4LO "smoothly".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fully flexed I can hardly touch the floor, although I am only 5' 10" Thats with the seat all the way back though :D

Posted Image

Plenty of leg room in the back too.

I drove a '99 Dakota with a custom work box on it carrying about 2000lbs. worth of farrier stuff. Twas my last work truck before I went to a trailer. Anyhow, this Dakota had the 5.2L or the 318CID engine.........IMHO, one of the best engines MOPAR ever made!!! The only downside to this was that the best mileage I could get was about 13.5mpg no matter how I drove it!!!! :wow Before the Dakota, I had the same workbox on an S-10 with the 4.3L..........that little truck would religiously get 18-19mpg driving the same routes and distances as the Dakota.........only difference being that it took a bit longer to get to speed and it just ate brake pads and shoes.........18-20,000 miles and I'd need a brake job.So for me, the Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins is the best of both worlds. I don't monopolize a truck with a custom box etc. and it gets as good or better mileage than the small trucks loaded up!!! :smart

Well I am not saying I dont love my cummins, but it is just too much truck for my needs. Honestly, my needs would require nothing but a TDI jetta. I go around 50,000 miles a year and I would say 5000 of it are truck needed miles. It just gets old going to big cities all the time and trying to park in hatchback designated spots.. But I have no desire to get something as worthless as a car. I want to haul some stuff and be able to pull a small trailer when needed. As well as having a 4x4 for winter and such. Sure they make AWD cars, but I go through up to 2ft of snow at times (with the 4x4 ford) and you can't try that without some big tires that wouldn't fit on a car. It would also be nice to not worry about fuel gelling up. I don't care if half the tank was full of power service, I still worry. Maybe I just have too much compassion for my inanimate machine LOL I am really just asking for opinions on what little truck to get since my dad is just going to buy my cummins from me anyhow, so it's not like it is leaving my sight, and maybe not even my position as its sole driver if my dad thinks he is gonna get a mustang too. It would make my day to see it do nothing but pull the trailer though, since it practically freewheels going down the highway. I hate thinking it is merely revving at 2000rpm going down the highway. :confused: There was a Nissan Frontier right next to the Dakota that I had to sit in. Seems almost identical in most aspects other than looks. Have to look up all the specs on those.

I have owned 2 Dakotas. A 98 and a 01. Both had the 318 motor and were fun to drive. If I didn't need the CTD for towing then I would own another one. They are good little trucks although through the years Dodge has made them look a little beefier. I loved the Owl tires that came with them.

Did you get the "Death Flash" ??? The Death Flash is a flash upgrade (or downgrade) that reduces timing to prevent knocking. I've been reading up and finding out the death flash is a major issue when it comes to power and MPG issues. But is does reduce the ignition knoc from low octane fuels. Now for the solution a lot of guys are getting programmer like SuperChips and the like to over-ride the "Death Flash" Hmmm... You did know I was studing up on gasser now did you??? 8| >:) ;)

I didn't get it myself but it may have been there when I purchased it. As far as timing knock that has never been an issue. The dealership said it was pre-ignition/timing knock causing the problems but I have since found out the rattling noise has been the timing chain. Turns out Dodge released a revised timing chain for the 3.9l that utilizes a tensioner to correct the timing chain noise problems.