• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Issues???

2003 CR bone stock with a Frybrid WVO system installed but deactivated. Been running from only the diesel system for 4 months (bought the truck in Dec 10) no problems except for a slight miss. About 3 months ago the mis got real bad and sounded like the valve train was trying to escape. Took it to a freaind who ran his OBD scanner and told me # 1 & 5 injectors not firing. Changed all six injectors! No change?? Took it back and now he said the injection pump no good. Changed IP and Lift pump! No change?? Also after the pumps change putting out 0304 code. looked into wiring issues and couldnt find anything. Was told to check wires on the back of the A/C compressor and the alternator. Looks goos to me. Another friend suggested i put seafoam into fuel tank... did that. Truck sat at shop for 2 months and no change. Drove the truck for about 100 miles and the symptoms got worse. Took her home and when I tried to start it the next day dead batteries. 2 new interstate 850s and she cranks perfectly but wont start. Im f%@!n stuck guys any suggestions??

• Staff

Sounds like it might be an ECM/wiring issue. Since 1/5 are different wiring harness it's probably not a single connector. Be sure to check the injector wires under the valve cover and make sure nothing is pinched. It may be time for some OEM diagnostics?Seafoam is BIG no-no in diesel fuel, especially HPCR's! It emulsifies any water in the tank and water is very hard on injectors. The misfire did stay on 1 and 5 right?Crosstubes properly torqued?

• Owner

Something is still wrong with the injectors you might have them re-pop tested and see whats up. Also you might consider doing a compression test to see how you rings/bore condition. CR engine are known for the injector problems and also wiping out the rings when thing fail. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/compression/compression-test.htm Because to make a diesel engine run you need 2 things... 1. Compression to heat the air to ignite the fuel. 2. Fuel to be sprayed int othe cylinder at the proper time.

so when i changed injectors the code changed to 0304 (cylinder 4 misfire) injectors are from Pensacola Fuel Injection and come with a 1 year warranty. in fact when I got the 0304 code the first time I called them and they warrantied the injector with no hassle. i checked the wires twice and they seem to be fine. i put an ohm meter on them and got less between .7-.8 ohms resistance on every one. I think thats Good?

--- Update to the previous post...

How the hell do I torque the cross tubes with the minimal space to work with??? I tried my best but that may have not been good enough! It did seem like air in the system to me though. miss would go away at higher rpm. was real bad at lower rpm going uphill. compression test was done on #4 since thats where the code is now. Dealer dont like me cause of the WVO system... btw I got the truck like that so Im just tryin to work with wat i got. I am taking it off very soon. and THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

--- Update to the previous post...

oh yah, injectors reman, ecm wiring LOOKS ok, and what do you mean by OEM Diagnostics?

• Owner

:rolleyes: Hua?

That wasn't very smart of the dealer to only test 1 cylinder... Should of tested all 6 so you see the wear state of each cylinder regardless of which cylinder tossed a code...

As for the miss that sound like what I got... I got a random miss on my truck I do know what the cause is (in my case) and its a sticky pintle needle. Now the WVO might be causing the pintle needle to hang up in the nozzle.

Posted Image

As for the miss that sound like what I got... I got a random miss on my truck I do know what the cause is (in my case) and its a sticky pintle needle. Now the WVO might be causing the pintle needle to hang up in the nozzle.

He pretty much eliminated the WVO from the equation since he said it is not used and he changed all six injectors. To eliminate or confirm the injector problem switch it with another one and see if the miss moves to the new cylinder. You can also measure the temp of each exhaust runner and see if any are running colder than the others by a significant amount.

• Staff

the injector that threw the code was swaped with a replacement/warranty unit from Pensacola FI and still same code

Swap it with another hole and see what happens, if it follows the injector the replacement was bad. If it stays you could have a wiring or crosstube issue.

how can i torque the cross tubes with out dissasembling the whole top half? There is not much room in there. thanks i will try. p.s. the code was on # 4 and the dealer checked #4 compression (they dont like me and would only do that cuz I bugged the Sh&* out of them) then retourqued every thing

I dont have a cure for your truck but I do know on my 01 if I over tourqe the crossover tubes it would efect the way it idle, you could back off and it would not miss as bad, crank down on it and it would run a little bad again. I had heard of this before and didnt belive it untill it happen to me.My 2 cents, you have bad crossover tube. They must be changed when you change inj. I didnt belive that one either. But I do everything the hard way :lmao: