• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

injectors problems

The dealers tell me i need a new injector... I thinkl i will go ahead buy all new would like a bit more power without nay fuel loss is this possible and do you know what kind of injectors i would need??? stock truck silencer ring missing straight pipe everything else is stock truck has 185,000 miles.....

I don't get it. I thought the VP44 controlled the fuel. How does a bigger injector increase mpg? Wait, a bit for the brain to catch up... VP44 assumes a given orafice (injector) so a bigger injector "fools" the VP44. More fuel, less throttle... does that equate to better mpg?Why don't stock truck come with RV275 injectors? Will stock auto tranny hold up to this? I know this is basic stuff... please be tollerant.Russ

• Owner

What would cause the injectors to go bad in the first place?????

Dirty fuel...ie. Not enough filtration.
1. Cheap filters. (Cheap no name filters) 2. Not changing the fuel filter as needed. 3. Burning WEO/WMO, ATF, WVO Etc in the fuel without proper processing. If you upgrade to a FASS or AirDog you got the option of upgrading from the stock 10 Micron filters to 2 micron filter like myself. I tend to stick with Fleetguard filters on everything except the Air Filter which is a BHAF.

• Owner

How hard is it to change out injectors? I did a search on RV275s & came up with some "no name listed" from an injector house... about a hundred bucks for the set! http://injectorparts.com/catalog/ This just seems to good to be true. Anyone out there? Russ

Now what you save on just buying the tips you'll must likely make up in pop testing and driving around getting it done...

I thought I read on a Cummins Forum page that the stock sticks are good for a million miles.

They could be... But it depends on how much debris that is escaping the fuel filter and being shoved throught the edge filters at the injectors... Also there is other factors excessive pyrometer heat, debris in the cylinder chamber (bad air filter), mechanical failure (broke part), etc...

Thank you. The answer was staring me right in the face... if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Yes comparing apples & oranges. The $99 was just the tips, not complete injectors & would have to be assembled & tested. No Bargain.Russ

• Owner

OK, let me rephrase, the stock inj were designed to last a millon miles. Another culprit now would also be USLD! That was not part of the original design calibration.

Yeap that another factor that will effect the life of a injector. Being that Bosch suggest fuel that is less than 460 HFRR score. Typical fuel today float around the 500-520 HFRR score. Maybe that why I still use a fuel lubricant like 2 cycle oil... LOL ;)