• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can OBD-II scanner and tuners unable to connect

cltdba

- 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD- Superchips Cortex 3950 - Innova Can ODB-II 3100e scanner Tuner was working fine before a trip to the dealership. I had a problem where my wait to start light was coming on at highway speeds. Also threw P1222. All of this happened after tuning truck with superchips cortex tuner. (I had the tuner left over from my previous gas truck, thought I'd see what it could do.) So I put the truck back to stock and took it to the dealer for repair. Dealer installed 6 new injectors. I still had the WTS light problem, but was able to use my code scanner to check DTCs. That's how I found the P1222. Hooked up a friends fancy Matco scanner and it was unable to connect the truck. After that, I could no longer connect my Innova scanner either. I thought it was just fluke and took it to the dealer to fix the P1222 and WTS light.Dealer replaced FCA and PRV which in turn fixed my WTS/P1222 problem. After getting the truck back, I attempted to connect my programmer to the truck. It came up with error saying it couldn't detect ignition on. I then tried my Innova scanner and it said it was unable to connect to the vehicle. I then tried the programmer in a friends Jeep and it was able to connect and tune it with no issue.I took the truck back to the dealer for this new problem. They were unable to find any problem and said the issue was with my scanner. (Didn't tell them about programmer.) I then asked them to try reflashing the truck. They stated after the injector change that I already had the latest software, but I wanted to see if they would run into errors like I did. They did not have any problems flashing the truck with their DRB3 tool. I actually went back with them and watched them do it. I then went to a local diesel shop who was so very kind to open a brand new Smarty JR and see if it would connect. It didn't throw errors, but also could not connect. It kept going through the key on/off cycle. After about 5 tries we gave up. Just this past weekend, I ran into a friend with the new Smarty SSR. I had him attempt to connect to my truck and it also did the exact same thing.Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I'm thinking bad ECM and am prepared to replace it, but I don't want spend the cash and that not be the problem. So far, Superchips, Innova and MADS haven't been able to confirm what might be wrong. MADS suggested a bad ECM. (On another note, I'm extremely impressed with MADS customer service considering I haven't even bought their product yet. If I can get this truck working I will be purchasing one asap. Already have my Quadzilla Scout II which interfaces with the smartys.)

• 5 months later...

Still haven't fixed this.

I tried replacing the ECM, but it did the same thing.

Now I'm leaning towards a problem at the OBD II port. Started researching the port and I "think" I should have voltage on pin 7/K Line when the key is on, but I do not. When I get some more time I plan to start taking the dash apart and tracing wires. I need to do this to fix the floor vent control anyway. It's not working either. The radio is factory, but I wonder if the previous owner had an after market radio in it at some point. I hear that can sometimes cause issues with the OBDII port.

If anyone has any knowledge about OBD II please chime in.

---------

Pins:

4 = Earth Gnd .859 ohms

5 = Signal gnd .859 ohms

6 = 0 ohms, .68 volts with key on

14 = 0 ohms, .68 volts with key on

16 = 12.5 volts

In addition to those pins I have:

7 = 0 ohms, 0 volts (K wire/Diagnostic line?)

9 = 0 ohms, 0 volts

12 = 0 ohms, 0 volts

15 = 0 ohms, 0 volts

CITDBA,You have my attention. I did a 2001 convertion and needed to reflash the Auto ECM to a Manual. We were able to read the ECM with a Snapon scantool twice, but a miniute into the second scan, the tool said no connection. After buying every scan tool under the sun with the same message,I gave up. I to need to have another go at this to so please keep me in the loop. Greg.

Thanks! I'll be working on this issue again sometime next week. I've saved the image and I'll try to decipher it in my spare time. :D heheh I have a race this weekend and have TONS of work to do on the race Jeep to get it ready for Friday & Saturday. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I wish I could say I had this fixed. Unfortunately I just have not had time to dig into this. I've been way to busy working on the race jeep and getting things in order for the next race. The tow rig will just have to wait unfortunately. I'll be sure to come back here and update the thread when I get back to it!

Went to another friends shop and used his Alldata (and some other software) to get wiring diagrams. It appears pins 7 and 12 are not used which explains no power on those. (These are the K and C lines for use with ISO-9141-2.) I located pins 6 and 14 at the TIPM and verified continuity. No breaks in the wire from the OBD2 to the TIPM. (These connect at connector C on the TIPM.) I ran out of time and wasn't able to ohm from TIPM to the ECM, but at least I know which wires I need to look at. If the wiring is good from TIPM to ECM then I guess I'll try replacing the TIPM. Not really sure what else to check? I need to find my own copy of Alldata so I can spend hours looking at the diagrams.Oh, I also tried two more handheld scanners and his $1500 LCD type scanner (forget the name, similiar to Matco Interceptor.) None were able to read. I'm not sure how the Quadzilla Scout II and Matco Interceptor can read. I may even take this thing to another dealership and ask them to diagnose it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, This is were I gave up last time looking for this resistor. Even bought the full wiring harnace looking for this Sucker, no such luck. Isnt this resister in the scan tool or ECM, shorley we dont have to add this thing in. With this deal my last thought was to talk to someone that knows all about this stuff. What I did find and this is were the trail went cold on me, was a Collage lecture that was on LINKTEM but I wasnt able to private message him. We just need to talk to the right guy. The other thing is the VP Pumped ECM is a bastard to link to so i have been told by CarDAQ who make the pass through device.

--- Update to the previous post...

Had a look at the Radio Shack, smart guys. From the MoparMans drawing pin 7 is SCI Transmit to pin 38 which we need, along with SCI Recieve pin 39 to obd pin 6. obd pins 3 and 11 are can bus. For me I only need to talk to the ECM so I figure OBD pins 6/7 are the ones that open the ECM to talk somehow. It is this knocking on the door that to me is the problem, we just arnt giving it a bigger enought knock. How you do that, is over my head.

Ok, This is were I gave up last time looking for this resistor. Even bought the full wiring harnace looking for this Sucker, no such luck. Isnt this resister in the scan tool or ECM, shorley we dont have to add this thing in. With this deal my last thought was to talk to someone that knows all about this stuff. What I did find and this is were the trail went cold on me, was a Collage lecture that was on LINKTEM but I wasnt able to private message him. We just need to talk to the right guy. The other thing is the VP Pumped ECM is a bastard to link to so i have been told by CarDAQ who make the pass through device.

--- Update to the previous post...

Had a look at the Radio Shack, smart guys. From the MoparMans drawing pin 7 is SCI Transmit to pin 38 which we need, along with SCI Recieve pin 39 to obd pin 6. obd pins 3 and 11 are can bus. For me I only need to talk to the ECM so I figure OBD pins 6/7 are the ones that open the ECM to talk somehow. It is this knocking on the door that to me is the problem, we just arnt giving it a bigger enought knock. How you do that, is over my head.

The resistor is only used during troubleshooting I believe. At least that's what I've gathered. It may be as you suggested, that the scan tools have a resistor built in. <shrug>

For my truck, I think the problem lies with the TIPM. According to all of the diagrams I've looked at, everything related to the diagnostic port and the ECM runs through the TIPM. So if I'm not getting any (or enough) voltage for the scan tool to read or if the "handshake" isn't correct then perhaps the TIPM is failing. It's also a circuit board/electronic device.

What year is your truck?

My engine is a 2001. Like your self I have tried all different scan tools but none will connect. My wireing is a little differant from the drawing, as I am only using the ECM. So OBD pins 3 / 11 and 6 / 7 go straight to the ECM. One other thing I have heard Is the turm ( dominate noide ). If there is such a thing maybe It is not doing just that. But after all that, the first time a hooked the SnapOn scan tool to my OBD11 it worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...