• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Are they greaseable or not ?

anoldbiker

I have looked over the front driveshaft u-joint each time I changed the oil and have yet to find where to grease it. Because of taking the time to look each time I change oil, it takes an hour to do this. I need help. I have read through this site, other sites and have spent enough time reading on this topic, it’s like spending months in a library. One pic shows where to grease (I borrowed from another site), and the other is my front joint. There is a major difference. a) On the older style joint there are retaining clips holding the caps on.b) There are NO retaining clips holding the caps in on mine, but little pins through the side. There is no hole for greasing anywhere on this u-joint or yoke. Is there a u-joint that you do not grease ? My owners’ manual states grease EVERY oil change. I’m so %*#^&*!# confused.post-11095-138698180576_thumb.jpg

post-11095-138698180562_thumb.jpg

post-11095-13869818057_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I've never had these before and was concerned with the grease every oil change in the manual. I called the dealer a while back and asked if there were non greaseable ones. He said to grease every oil change, and if I couldn't, they could. Guess they wanted me in to charge for nothing.

• Staff

It's not the u-joint it's the cardigan joint, as depicted in that first photo. Are your pics of the xcase side or axle side?You will have to lift a front tire off the ground and rotate the drive shaft until you find it. It looks just like that first photo, but probably dirtier. It's a PITA, SEVERE PITA!! I am never even sure if grease get's in mine, I attempt to grease it every 5K miles. It takes a #4 grease needle with the tip cut flat (they come like a syringe). Good luck, you will need it.

The first pic that you pointed out is the spot. And as AH64ID stated you need a grease needle to grease it.The main reason they are a PITA is that the little spring backed steel bal sticks due to dirt time ect. I find it a lot easier to clean the area and blow it out with compressed air then take an o-ring pick or small screwdriver and depress the ball in the center to break it loose then it will take grease a lot easier, you also need to press on it straight and hard with the needle or it will just ooze out around the needle and not get any in the zerk.

Going to have to raise the truck again and look. In the past, I've done everything from using a brass wire brush to clean every square inch, compressed air to clean, wiped light oil on the metal to clean and look and I thought I did everything I could but found nothing. My friend that has an 06 says it's a bit hard to find, but does his own looked and was shocked he couldn't find it. This has been hell.Going back out to try again. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Took the truck to the dealer and told them my problem. They through it on a hoist and was going to grease it when the employee came in and said he could not see it. I was allowed to go with him and an older employee to look. They could not find it and took the shaft down. They found a dark red / brown color material over the opening. It was very hard and had to be picked off with an awl. They said they never seen anything like this. They verified the joint was fine and grease and installed it. The material was collected to be sent to the manufacture. Since I did have the dealership grease it the first couple of oil changes and it was documented, it cost me nothing. From under the vehicle, no one could see the fitting. I don't fell like a total idiot now.

I've looked several times over the years to find that grease point. I never could. Almost 155,000 now. The shop that did my rear driveshaft U-joints earlier this year, said the fronts were fine. 7.5 years and no grease!!!!!:stuned: Probably just jinxed myself now!!!:duh:

Per the older mechanic, he never seen this before. It was impossible to see from under the vehicle until he dropped it, angled it and put a bright light at an angle, then there was a small rusty sort of a shiny reflection. Now that the sh_t that was there is off, I can see the grease spot even when in the garage and without the flashlight.Use an extremely bright light when you look and angle it a little. The people here is right, it's there. But this was nothing like I've experience in the past.

• Staff

I've looked several times over the years to find that grease point. I never could. Almost 155,000 now. The shop that did my rear driveshaft U-joints earlier this year, said the fronts were fine. 7.5 years and no grease!!!!!:stuned: Probably just jinxed myself now!!!:duh:

The amount of miles you have on your front shaft gives me a little piece of mind, I always feel like mine could take more grease than it does. The grease does not go into the u-joints thou, so they should be fine without adding grease.