• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not sure what this block is.

So picked up the engine for my truck today. Im not really sure what I ended up with. I cant find a 53 anywhere so I hope that is a good sign. The block in my truck has a big 53 on the drivers side lower front of the block. This block has a series of numbers. The tag says it was built 3/3/98 and is rated at 235hp. My tag says 215hp. This engine must have had a manual behind it? My plan is to swap most of the parts from my engine to this engine so I hope I dont have any problems.

--- Update to the previous post...

Oops. I put this in the wrong section. This is meant for the 24valve section. Sorry.

I believe the OLD BLOCK is a 53. The new block is in the right time period to be a 53 but if it is a 53, it will be so marked. The blocks were not used in any sort of an order & there was more than one block supplier. My 01 has a 55. "Locate the large wiring harness mounted to the block. The cast number for the Cummins 5.9 engine block will be located just below the wiring harness and above the spot where the oil pan meets the block. Engine blocks cast by Tupy feature a two-digit number embossed on the block surface. Blocks cast by Teksid include a longer series of numbers in a smaller size. "Move to the passenger side of the vehicle and look directly below the oil filter mounting assembly. Another instance of the cast number can be found on the block, ahead of the front turbo drain port. Read more: How to Locate the Cast Number on a Cummins 5.9 Engine Block | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7370476_locate-cummins-5_9-engine-block.html#ixzz1cVq1ma5x

The marking for the 53 block had two place's it was possibly marked,driver hidden by wire loop or below oil cooler.post-10375-138698181116_thumb.jpg Document and save pictures,I just recieved notification of a settled class action that will pay up to $500 dollars. If your truck was originally installed with a 53 block you should get a postcard.:thumb1:

I just picked the truck up. Havent put it in my name yet. No postcard for me. From what I have read the block I just got is a mexican block. So I should be good to go. Looks to be in decent shape for having 200k on it( on the outside anyway ). Going to pull the head and oil pan to take a closer look.