• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intake Air Temp

AH64ID

• Owner

I just happen to get a really good look at that this yesterday. I was heading down to Ontario, OR and Caldwell, ID for supplies. Well the start of the trip was at +10*F about and couldn't do much better than 17-19 MPG. By the time I got to Council, ID the weather start warming up start creeping towards 20 MPG. By the time I was running around in Caldwell, ID it was 56-59*F and the MPG was really rising up towards 22-23 MPG... No joke. I've also just verified my ScanGauge II is dead on the money now. So I've not seen any down side to warm air either... All pluses when it comes to MPG's...

• Staff

There is more to warm air for mileage than just IAT's.The warm air is less dense, so it takes less hp to move thru it. Same thing with warm tires, warm gear lubes, etc. Warmer IAT's do seem to help, but without a resistor setup like Michael was using on a rheostat it's really hard to quantify what gains are from IAT's and what gains are from the warm air's effect on the truck.