• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trying new setting on my Smarty Jr for this winter..

AH64ID

• Staff

This is my first winter since I have been running SW3 exclusively, but don't want my normal setting for snow/ice.. so here is what I am going to try. SW3 TM2 TQ1 PoD 70.. it should still have plenty of go-juice if I need it, but less low end (mainly weaker throttle response) for more traction from a stop.

That approach is just a bandaid for the real issue. For winter traction regaurdless of power or how to harness it, Comes down to tires tires tires and the proper choice there of. Which usually comes down to those with lots of siping for the best traction and stopping power in slick winter conditions.Sorry for the thread jacking but just felt the need to throw that out there.:tongue::whistle:

• Staff

That approach is just a bandaid for the real issue. For winter traction regaurdless of power or how to harness it, Comes down to tires tires tires and the proper choice there of. Which usually comes down to those with lots of siping for the best traction and stopping power in slick winter conditions. Sorry for the thread jacking but just felt the need to throw that out there.:tongue::whistle:

I agree.. can't beleive how much of a difference tires make on my little car.. goes from scary to glued to the road. Tires are not the issue for me (got those taken care of), it's the higher clutch engagement torque and more aggressive throttle response than stock.. I didn't have a traction issue when I was on the lower Smarty Jr settings, but usually turn the PoD and TQ down becuase it drives a lot nicer on lower traction roads.. but have never tried stock torque or PoD below 80.. Just going to see how it drives.

I don't remember if it was last winter or the winter before; but I tried SW3 on my Smarty Revo, and didn't get my normal winter mileage. I normally run SW5 default settings which is the +90HP tune.SW7 (130HP tune) gives me great mileage also, but it gets warmer than I like to see towing my work trailer.

• Staff

I personally never see a difference from SW, just from TM.. SW seems to make a big difference on the auto's, but normally not much for most manual trans trucks.

--- Update to the previous post...

Just went for a short drive.. wow those setting took a lot of the snap out of the truck.

• Staff

It has always been controllable with the manual.. but I have all these tuning options so I may as well use them :-)The lower TQ just effects the low speed operation and isn't noticeable above about 30 mph, and PoD is changeable on the fly.. so really I still have my 400 rwhp tune loaded, it's just not as harsh on the tires... which is good as my winter tires are the $$ ones!I only use PoD a few times a year, hunting and off road has been it, but thought I would try it for winter this year. What PoD does is re-map the throttle.. So at PoD 70 my WOT TPS single is like 70 with the PoD at 99. So each of the 99 positions on the TPS is really only 70% of a normal TPS signal..just makes it a little less sensitive and since I rarely go WOT I won't notice it other than it takes a little more pedal and is easier to control on slick surfaces (or dirt, which is where I normally run PoD 50). Why do you guys have snow, its crystal clear down here :mad:

• Staff

Put about 225 miles on the truck yesterday. We hit some hot springs on the Middle Fork of the Boise, then went Christmas tree hunting N of Idaho City. We hit snow, ice, and dirt. I am quite happy with the settings on the Jr! And I still had plenty of power for passing in short passing spots on the local roads!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

I have been on this setting for nearly 3 months and I really like it!Nearly all my top end power is still there for passing, acceleration, etc.On slick roads there is a lot better traction and less flying gravel/snow/rubber. When UDC comes out I'll probably try to decrease the low load duration a little and then I won't have to PoD as much in the winter/dirt roads, which should help with traction/tires.