• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anybody have a Deuce and a Half? M35A2 / M35A3...

CSM

Yes, I am crazy. But they look so fun! And with scrap prices, i am pretty sure that I could part out/scrap the thing if something major breaks and nearly break even. If I can find one with a winch for cheap enough... It might just come home.I am not crazy enough to get a 5 ton with the 800+ CI cummins in it. If I had a CDL, perhaps, but I think the 5 ton might be a bit too big. If anybody here has a deuce, I have some questions.

I don't know where to start really. I am just starting to learn about them. I like the concept of the multi fuel LDT diesels, but I haven't really worked on them. Are they decent engines? I have a lot of old oil that I can filter and run in an LDT :)I also like the CAT 3116 diesels and allison automatics in the newer deuces, but I am not sure I can afford an M35A3. If I get one its probably going to be a cheap surplus truck, and hopefully I can work through whatever issues it has without costing an arm or leg. What are some of the common things that you have to check up on with your adopted fleet? From what I read they are pretty simple, but some of the bearings & seals can be a pain to replace, but all are available and the manuals are as simple as a coloring book. Thanks Mike!

• Owner

Axle bearings, wheel seals, knuckle boots are a really PITA but its a common failure. You'll end up with gear lube soaked brakes and drums.

Posted Image

Engine wise they are nearly bullet proof. The turbo charged engine are MUCH stronger than the non-turboed. They are not know for high road speeds (Max of about 55 MPH) but they will pull huge amount of weight without thinking twice...

Injection pump is simular to the ol' VE pump in the first gen once you look at you'll understand what I mean.

Posted Image

Here is Water Tender 6

Posted Image

• Like 1

A local guy here has one that's been bobbed to a single rear axle. He says it turns so much easier, although he lost some GVW, but for what he uses it for (landscaping) the maneuverability outweighs the loss of capacity.It does look cool, though. I'll try to get a pic when I see it again. He's also got a couple Unimogs.I've always wanted a deuce and a half, but I would really like an old gama goatEspecially like THIS..