• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

97 Dodge Cummin Lift Pump Don't buy aftermarket

My 97 Dodge Diesel (which I drive rarely) has been difficult to start lately. I had to use the manual primer on the lift pump to get pressure to injector pump. I had installed a pressure guage in cab of the truck to indicate pressure feed to injector pump. The other day I drove to a friends 20 miles away. Truck ran fine after manual priming again to start it. I was parked for about 1 hour and then the truck refused to start at all. Pumped and pumped the manual primer and the pressure gauge in cab would go up to 10 psi. I would try to start the truck and pressure would drop to zero immediately. I could not belive the lift pump was bad since I replaced it 3 years ago and it has only about 3000 miles on it. It was an aftermarket DELPHI lift pump and I did determine after a lot of testing it was bad. Apparently DELPHI brand is some real junk. I bought a CUMMINS lift pump (they are made in China now) and installed it and the truck is running better than ever. I found out the hard way as difficut as these lift pumps are to install it is stupid to save a few buck and buy an aftermarket lift pump.

I found out the hard way as difficut as these lift pumps are to install it is stupid to save a few buck and buy an aftermarket lift pump.

:2cents: Cheap is not always good! Good is NOT cheap!

Nothing wrong with an aftermarket part. Just depends where you get it at. That's what is nice about this forum! You get recommendations from everyone that posts here about parts!