• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen power issues

To all; I have been having trouble with my 2000 2nd Gen, The truck was shifting strangely, I was getting what I thought was "dead pedal". I perused the board for answers to others questions/posts. I could not get more than the 1693 code from the odometer readout...no matter how many times I did it...sorry Michael, I just couldn't get it!So far I have done the following, and the problem comes and goes.1, I removed and cleaned ALL the grounds in the system, and the battery leads, and the fuse/relay box leads2, I have replaced the Carter pump with a Fass replacement pump, just because and I have 153000 on the truck3, I have replaced the APPS with one from Timbo. 4, Today I went down to my local Autozone and had them pull the DTC codes from the truck ( I know I should have done that first! ) The DTC codes from the truck were P0236, and P0237, which are for the Map sensor, Turbo over boost and under boost.Can it really be this simple? I read somewhere that the Map sensor can be cleaned, is this so? I thought I was looking at a VP44 failure.Can anyone help me with this? Don't hesitate with your suggestions, please. Thanks Randy

Well, I removed the IAT sensor and the Map sensor and cleaned them as Michael instructed in the tips section they weren't very dirty....no difference in the way the truck runs....still like it is 1/2 power..or less.I saw there was a resistance test for the IAT, is there a test for the MAP sensor, should I just purchase a replacement? Is there a better aftermarket one or should I go OEM?Help....I need my truck back................R

• Owner
I have no expierence with the scangauge but have been looking at purchasing one since my overhead is full of itself. Walmart also carries simplistic OBD II code readers that will work for this purpose.
It would but they don't allow for Live data stream viewing like the ScanGauge does...

I should have the new Map sensor today from my local auto parts store, hope this takes care of it!! Will install it and clear the codes, see what happens???? Randy

Hmmm.... That's odd... Most parts stores can get the MAP sensors for Cummins... Verify it closely before you buy it...

EUREKA !!

I picked up the Map sensor from my local parts guy, installed it and cleared the codes, And presto-chango my truck was HEALED..........Now I can hook up the programmer and get back to the way it's supposed to drive. Thanks for all the help and advice from all :thumbsup

Now! How would I best get a little more power out of the old girl? I have the following done.

1. Replaced the air filter with a cone type high flow (not a K&N) I had an amsoil filter and thought I would try this one.

2. Bully Dog programmer. Simple 3 step, 65hp on high I think.

3. Expandit 5" pipe system w/floe thru muffler

4. Rebuilt Trans w/shift kit, HD Converter, bands ect.

Where is the best place to get some guages?

Trans Temp, ect

Mopar, I have heard a lot about different guages to use, not diff mfg's, When I order my piller mount I will only be able to mount 3 guages I think?I tow a camper so I know I want a Trans Temp guage, I am also thinking of installing an aftermarket trans cooler w/fans. What would be the other two that would be most important?Pyro, pre or post?Turbo Boost?Other? Thanks R

• Owner

Mopar, I have heard a lot about different guages to use, not diff mfg's, When I order my piller mount I will only be able to mount 3 guages I think? I tow a camper so I know I want a Trans Temp guage, I am also thinking of installing an aftermarket trans cooler w/fans. What would be the other two that would be most important? Pyro, pre or post? Turbo Boost? Other? Thanks R

Order of importance... 1. Fuel pressure (0-30 PSI) - Without a fuel pressure gauge you can ruin your VP44 injection pump. 2. Pyrometer (0-1,600*F) - Without a pyrometer and towing you can exceed 1,200*F rather quickly even with a stock engine... 3. Boost pressure (0-35 PSI) - Good to keep track of the boost has a direct bearing on Pyro Temps. 4. Trans Temp - Protect your trans from overheating... I don't hear of many problem in this catagory... You can order a 3 place a-pillar and a steering column single pod.

Ok, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the gauges for my truck from GOS with the pricol gauges, I have not bought a fuel pressure gauge as of yet. I have went and used a pressure gauge at the port on the VP44, after replacing the lift pump with a fass replacement I have 30lbs of pressure after starting the engine. Is this too high, or ok?Is there a gauge mount for the steering column? I have not found one yet. Thanks, Randy

I was afraid that the fuel pressure would be low, so I installed the heavier spring with the new fass pump :red . I suppose I should take the pump back out and put the stock spring back in `:( ????Will the higher pressure really hurt anything? The truck seems to run fine........... :confused

• Owner

I was afraid that the fuel pressure would be low, so I installed the heavier spring with the new fass pump :red . I suppose I should take the pump back out and put the stock spring back in `:( ????

Will the higher pressure really hurt anything? The truck seems to run fine........... :confused

Here is the factory fuel pressures...

Posted Image

It might cause hard starting issues... But there is a thread over at CF.com about high fuel pressure.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5- ... ssure.html

• 7 months later...