• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rubber Band Fuel Peddel

Chip_er

Hi All,First post after read much information here "great site".Any-way I have new to me 03 mega cab R3500 4x4 dually 5.9L.While traveling at around 50 mph and just maintain a speed, it feels like the engine fuels then doesn't fuel ever so lightly. I hear the engine dieseling a bit then quiets then dieseling and so one. The turbo spools up a little and doesn't. If I punch it for a bit, the engine will come out of it. I noticed it does not do it all the time!Thanks

• Staff

This can be a pretty common thing on the HPCR's, they surge ever so slightly when zero fuel isn't enough and min fuel is too much. It can be considered normal in some instances (like I have one hill by my house that does it every time, as does my gas car on the same hill). Sometimes if it does it a lot it can be an injector, and a fuel injector cleaner for a few tanks may help. What your describing sounds like the injectors need to be cleaned, or gone thru. I would run a good cleaner for a few tanks, replace the fuel filter and see what happens. You will find many of us run an additive every tank, personally I use the Amsoil Diesel Concentrate.Is it an 03, or a Mega Cab? The MC wasn't released until MY06.

• Like 1

Thanks AH64IDIt's a crew cab I guess, is what there called. I picked this 3500 up a couple of months ago from a dealer. He told me the previous owner did in fact changed all the injectors. I had it at a Dodge dealer last month for an unrelated issue, and they told me they're were no codes logged. At the time I hadn't noticed the fueling, UN-fueling as I call it, going on. I've read somewhere if you disconnect the battery you have to relearn the accelerator paddle. Not sure if it's the cause, But I did removed and cleaned the battery terminals last month, and the truck could of been sitting at the dealers lot at one time with a dead battery. Some suggested the lift pump going.P.S. I ran a tank with lucas fuel conditioner, I know it's not a quick fix in a bottle had to try!Thanks

• Staff

I doubt it's the lift pump, but the OEM pumps in 03 were prone to failure. It was more of a complete failure thou. Quick check is to drain your fuel filter bowl and then bump the starter, see if the filter bowl fills back up. Also, listen to see if the pump is on the block or in the tank. I would run a cleaner thru for a few tanks and see what happens. Do you have anything big you can tow? Sometimes these girls just want to get worked. The 3rd gen 4 door cab is a quad cab, in 06 they released the mega cab and in '10 the 4th gen lost the quad cab and got a crew cab. I have heard about the pedal reset, but never done it. From what I gather turn the truck to run, but don't start it. Now slowly take the pedal from 0 to WOT 3 times.

Thanks again AH64IDI'll do just that at the beginning of the week "drain bowl and re-fill". I guess I'm going to dig my trailer out. Thanks for the heads up on the pumps going bad. The Quad is what I have with the 8 foot bed. I like the mega cab look nice long wheel base.

I have the 03 long bed 4x4 and I work it by pulling a 38FT fifth wheel camper. The 03 04 was km own to have fuel pump that went bad. Is your fuel pump beside the fuel filter if it is it has not been replaced in the tank. When they went bad they replaced then in the fuel tank. If some one did it their self they might had used a after market pump mounted from the frame. I am still running the one from the factory. But when they changed the fuel from 10.000 PPM to 15 PPM I started to use outboard oil in my fuel mix with Howes Diesel Treat at half of what they say to use for summer mix I think this is why I am still running the factory pump. But I did go and buy a pump and put it under the seat. I got it at Geno's for 165.00. It has benn ther for 7 years GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

• Staff

I have the 03 long bed 4x4 and I work it by pulling a 38FT fifth wheel camper. The 03 04 was km own to have fuel pump that went bad. Is your fuel pump beside the oil filter if it is it has not been replaced in the tank. When they went bad they replaced then in the fuel tank. If some one did it their self they might had used a after market pump mounted from the frame. I am still running the one from the factory. But when they changed the fuel from 10.000 PPM to 15 PPM I started to use outboard oil in my fuel mix with Howes Diesel Treat at half of what they say to use for summer mix I think this is why I am still running the factory pump. But I did go and buy a pump and put it under the seat. I got it at Geno's for 165.00. It has benn ther for 7 years GOOD LUCK

Guessing it's just the morning opps, but want to clarify. The engine mounted fuel pump is next to the fuel filter, not oil filter. LSD was 500 ppm, and ULSD is the 15 as mentioned. HSD was 5,000 ppm and was dropped to 500 in fall of 1993 to meet 1994 emissions.
  • Like 1

You know AABEAR,

your old age syndrome gave me an old age flash,

I remember when I first bought the truck I recalled hearing a motor-pump sound coming from the passenger side below the seat under the floor, and now weeks later I don't hear that sound any more.

You suppose the pump is mounted on the frame rails and is getting week. To me that sounds possible! I did look in the engine bay and didn't see the pump next to the filter as first told to me by AH64ID.

So I guess I'll be looking under the truck the morning.

--- Update to the previous post...

AH64ID

I looked around for some "Amsoil Diesel Concentrate" and couldn't find anything as such. I'll try some more this week at some other parts store, maybe wally might carry it.

• Staff

AH64ID

I looked around for some "Amsoil Diesel Concentrate" and couldn't find anything as such. I'll try some more this week at some other parts store, maybe wally might carry it.

It's generally a mail order item, thou there are some stocking dealers in various towns.