• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Question on damage to VP44?

Hi guys! Two days ago I had my Airdog100 installed at a shop local to the area I live. That night I went and picked it up and I had 22 miles to drive home. It idled fine when I left the shop, partway home it kinda sputtered alittle like there was a dead pedal for a couple seconds. Parked in garage and next day went to go get kids and it did it again with the pedal. I got it home and looked it over. Two hours later went to go pick kids up and it wouldnt start at first. I could hear the pump engage and then I left key on for about 30 sec just in case it needed that time to build pressure. It did finally start and rpm's were from 800 down to 500 jumping back and forth. It idled for about two minutes and it died and would not start. When installing the pump they broke the fuel pressure sending unit but I had them put a gauge on there and they said it was jumping between 15-20. So, I towed it back to the shop. Yesterday they looked at it and called them last night and they said it wasn't sucking enough fuel from the tank so they put a drawstraw in. Kinda worries me they didn't know what they were doing. My main question is if they said all of that was caused by not enough fuel getting sucked out of the tank and starving the pump I assume that means low pressure as well which is weird cuz they told me 15-20. Would this incident have caused any damage to the VP44? I guess being that it's crucial to have good fuel pressure I guess it ran for about 40 minutes or so on I would imagine low or no pressure according to them. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

^Yea, what he said.It sounds like you do not have a gauge to monitor the fuel pressure. Get one ASAP.Yes, it did cause damage to the vp44. How much though, thats another story.When I first got my Dodge, I did not know a single thing about it. I would have never bought it, if I knew better. I ran it around for 4 months doing quit a bit of driving. Anytime I got on the throttle, the fuel pressure needle would go right to 0. My vp44 to this day is the same since I bought it. I've had it less than a year, and it has not seized on me yet.Its like playing russian roulette, really. From now on, make sure you see no less than 14psi WOT or idle and put 2-stroke oil in the fuel at a ratio of 1:128 or 1oz of oil to 1 gallon of diesel. Keep your filters clean and your fuel to a premium.

• Like 1

• Owner

Hex is right...:smart: I would get that fuel pressure gauge back in function and check it for yourself.

I had them put a gauge on there and they said it was jumping between 15-20

Did they check idle and WOT operation or just idle? :shrug:

It did finally start and rpm's were from 800 down to 500 jumping back and forth.

I would check error codes and see if there is something else causing a issue (Cam sensor?)
  • Like 1