• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone in or from the Air Force?

hex0rz

As a kid I have always dreamed of flying. But not just flying anything. I'm talking about flying the fighter jets! I loved how they could be the big dog of skies. Growing up though, I started noticing that is not so much of a reality for me, haha. Although, if I could have ever gotten in and flown, I would definitely have tried to be an A-10 Warthog pilot. Those things are just too cool!Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here is in the Air Force, or has been recently. This may not even be a viable alternative for me, considering how things are going. But I figure this can't hurt to talk about.As we all know, finding work and staying busy is getting harder. In the last 3 years I have only worked about half of that time. Very spotty employment and not much to be said from it. Now, as things are seemingly getting slightly better, I was fortunate to get back to work after 7 months doing some work I did before the past 3 year ditch.I graduated high school early and went into construction. I'm a Glazier by trade and went down and worked on a year-long project. Got my foot in the door from it. Finished the job and went to a glass shop locally. Worked for them for 9 months before they went out of business. 3 years goes by and here I'am finishing the 3rd week of a projected 6 week long job.It may not even go that long. After this job is over, I'm pretty much a sitting duck, once again. :banghead:A fella I sold firewood to has partial ownership in a glass company. Would'nt you know it! He says he wants me to work for him and said he has about 2 years worth of work for me. Being the individual I'am I like to look at fallbacks. I'm hoping by the grace of God that this guy does hire me on and puts me to work that long. But if not, I was starting to seriously consider the whole Air Force thing. Why?Well, I'm doing this project out on a base, and seeing life on the base, is totally :stuned:. I cannot help but feel an aspect of regret. To work on this building and seeing the things I see is just almost too much. KIDS at like the age of 5-8 are walking by THEMSELVES down the streets and they have not a thing to fear. People leaving things unlocked, and pregnant women taking their kids for walks with their dogs. Not having to worry about someone robbing here because of her handicap. Thinking about it more, the whole idea of having a house and the family able to live with you right there as you are working is GOLD!Almost all your expenses seem to be covered. What gets me the most, is I'm going on 24. I see people my age or so, with nice vehicles, having kids and being able to enjoy life without much worry. I definitely feel really bad about myself, because I get the feeling as though I'm failing as a husband for my wife. I can't even manage to hold a steady job enough to have the ability to move into a house. She wants kids, and I do too, but I can't look at it irresponsibly enough to say, "Lets have a kid, when I do not have any way to support it"!I dunno, call me shallow fellas, or judge me as if I should be more thankful, etc. But to see these people going on in life, seemingly having it "made" is soo temtping. When I see the neighborhoods there, it reminds of how I would have imagined it back when my parents were kids. Block parties, kids out on the street playing, even after dark!Anyways, now that I have my excuses put to the side, I was considering the air force, not only for all these perks or fringe benefits, but they offer positions as being a Firefighter. Some of you know, I'm already a volunteer with my local dept. I was thinking that being a FF in the AF would be the ticket! I got to watch the firetrucks on base pass by and thought, thats it, right there!I here its a pretty difficult position to obtain, but if there is a will, there is a way! Anyone have any idea about this position in the AF? Seems like it would be a very rewarding thing to do!The wife is a very cautious lady when it comes to any involvement in the military. Don't get me wrong, she would die for the troops, herself is she had the chance. Its more of the chew you up and spit you back out type of thing she is worried about. She has family who have had that very experience. Just dunno how many others experience that one......I must have typed a book by now! :moon:

My brother medically retired from the AF after 5 tours of duty, 3 in iraq 2 in afghanistan, has injuries from them. I will put it to you this way, with his proof of medical problems they still tried to give him the boot because he couldnt pass a pt test with KNOWN lung injuries. They also tried many things to get him in trouble so that he would be ineligable for benefits. The AF is run like a poorly run company, Physical Training seems to be priority over the actual job you do and they micromanage it very bad.You are better off going to the navy. I could go on and on how long it took him to get medically retired (over 2 years) and how much stuff they drug him through to make it hard, cause they knew he was going to get paid when he got out.Todays military is just like any other business, they are running it into the ground.-me Army vet.

• Like 1

My brother medically retired from the AF after 5 tours of duty, 3 in iraq 2 in afghanistan, has injuries from them. I will put it to you this way, with his proof of medical problems they still tried to give him the boot because he couldnt pass a pt test with KNOWN lung injuries. They also tried many things to get him in trouble so that he would be ineligable for benefits. The AF is run like a poorly run company, Physical Training seems to be priority over the actual job you do and they micromanage it very bad. You are better off going to the navy. I could go on and on how long it took him to get medically retired (over 2 years) and how much stuff they drug him through to make it hard, cause they knew he was going to get paid when he got out. Todays military is just like any other business, they are running it into the ground. -me Army vet.

...buddy, IMO there is so much truth to what you said. :( I was thinking that this kind of thing is not such a far fetched thing as many people think. Seems like nowadays those days of being upright are over. Everyone is getting all cut throat... Simply put, I just thought maybe FF in the AF would have been a good idea... Sounds like I would be better off trying to do it as a civilian.

...buddy, IMO there is so much truth to what you said. :( I was thinking that this kind of thing is not such a far fetched thing as many people think. Seems like nowadays those days of being upright are over. Everyone is getting all cut throat... Simply put, I just thought maybe FF in the AF would have been a good idea... Sounds like I would be better off trying to do it as a civilian.

I spent some time in the AF and understand where you are coming from. I went in about the same age that you are and it was a good experience that helped me get the hell out of where I was. There was a lot of traveling which was cool to check out along with people. It may not be for everybody so that is why it is good to hear other opinions. The Air Force has some really good tech schools that maybe worth your while to sit down with a recruiter and go over. Any questions feel free to ask or send me a PM Bo

hex0rz, you are still better off going into a service as you will get the training and experience you need without paying for it financially. in the civilian world you will payy out the arse with no gurantee of having a chance of getting a job. I went in with a GED and now have over 18 years mobile communications experience with many businesses. I make good money and without the army i wouldnt be here.If you can tough it out and deal with it, go for it! You cant go wrong.

My wife is in the Airforce and it has its pro's and con's. She wants to travel and we ended up in Japan for 3 years but if you dont like where your at you still have to stay. She is stationed here at Macdill now and we are trying to move on base for all the same reasons you described. If there is anyway you can, go in as an officer or get your schoolin done and cross over to an officer.

My son is now 10yrs in the Air Force. It is beyond a doubt the best of the services to join. But as in all things, if it is not a job flying in an airplane, you are just another number. The Air Force is about planes, and if your not flying in them as a Officer or enlisted, they suck. Son is a loadmaster on C-17s and loves it. Well over 8000 hrs flying time and numerious deplyments, flown around the world twice, and is currently in OK teaching new loadmasters how to do the job. In his words he's having the time of his life. But he has a flying job, and that's the difference. His last enlistment bonus was 45k tax free money.Just tell the recruiter you will only accept a flying job, and hope your asvab scores are high enough to get one.

There are millions of stories and experiences (good and bad) over the decades that can be told. But also consider (add in) the economy. From what I've seen and heard on the news, we are also looking at getting a large hit in the defense budget, which will roll down hill as most stuff will do.No matter who wins the next election, it will be rough for at least the next two years until the fur settles.Choose wisely.

There are millions of stories and experiences (good and bad) over the decades that can be told. But also consider (add in) the economy. From what I've seen and heard on the news, we are also looking at getting a large hit in the defense budget, which will roll down hill as most stuff will do. No matter who wins the next election, it will be rough for at least the next two years until the fur settles. Choose wisely.