• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My new to me 01 has bad convertor shudder :(

The previous owner told me about it, and I've put 300 miles on it empty and it worked perfect but I hooked up a trailer today and it shuddered bad, when I tap the brake pedal it quits. I have been surfing ebaymotors looking up tranny parts. Have any of you guys heard of RevMax convertors? They have a single billet convertor for $400, but I think they have a core charge on them and I'm too far away to send one back. What convertors have you guys used? I'm also thinking of either a full replacement valvebody or I'll install a shift kit, they are pretty cheap.

• Owner

I hate to say it but if it comes from Ebay I'm instantly turned off... I rather buy a quality product from a quality transmssion shop with a warranty than buy from a fly by night vendor on Ebay... :smart: Check out some of the vendors here... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/mopar1973mans-dealer-contacts/12-dealers--vendors

The previous owner told me about it, and I've put 300 miles on it empty and it worked perfect but I hooked up a trailer today and it shuddered bad, when I tap the brake pedal it quits. I have been surfing ebaymotors looking up tranny parts. Have any of you guys heard of RevMax convertors? They have a single billet convertor for $400, but I think they have a core charge on them and I'm too far away to send one back. What convertors have you guys used? I'm also thinking of either a full replacement valvebody or I'll install a shift kit, they are pretty cheap.

Thanks for the responses. I know what Mike is saying about being turned off by ebay, I have a buddy who bought about 10 headgaskets for Suzuki engines and every one of them failed. But like you were saying hex0rz I'm sure there are some good outfits that sell a quality product on there. Judging by their rating they couldn't have peed of too many people. I just don't have a huge budget to fix this thing so I need to find the best bang for my buck.

I'm not knocking RevMax but the vendor source through EBay. It really hurts to spend big money on parts and have a difficult time dealing with a warranty issues through a Ebay vendor.

Funny 2 years ago I put in a revmaax and everyone was like - NOOOOO. So I did it anyway. Never had a a problem. Now a couple guys have done some more builds with revmax inlcluding some higher HP and its getting more respected as a build company - which is good. Point of the story is sometimes if you speak with the owner and get a good feeling on knowledge and phone support its worth saving a few $$ which is what I did. Lucky for me and now others its turned out well and they are now more often included in the list of "approved" vendors rather than non approved. Thats why I went with them - was Franks patience with me on the phone and the ONLY guy to tell me that I didnt need a new tranny - just a new TC and VB. Guess what - he was right (we tore it down later anyway and found out hardly any internal damage). So -I would say Revmax is a good company to deal with and save a few $$. You can go with Goerand or DTT or Garmon - but on some of these be prepared for longer waits and sometimes average service (DTT specifically - but they build good product). ALL builders will have a core charge on the TC. But most will let you pull the old one and send it back before applying the charge. :thumbup2:
  • Like 1

just my two cents on there revmax tc,c i have aproxamently 30 trucks up here we have done since nov of last year with the revmax 3x billits and all work good no failers, i am in the prossecs of becoming a dealer for them up here as i type here .so i would stand behind themnow as for ebay i agree with mike , i would park my truck than chase someone from ebay for warranty over xxxxx parts, just sayinas for there being a core charge your not going to get away from it everyone has them ,its not like you lose anything, send back the core and they will refund your core charge.

• Like 2

So an update on this issue, I found a local shop that builds convertors in Calgary. It's a single billet model and I got it for $600. This way if I have an issue I won't have far to go for help. I also ordered a Airdog FRRP pump. I hope that will cover all my bases. Next up is to straight pipe it and find a small HP programmer.

I never knew this and just read it on CF - but from Frank at Revmax .

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/474289-could-dexron-mercron-right-2.html

"We recommend +4. Now, you can run Dex 3, but ONLY if you are running a triple disc TC.. If you run Dex 3 on a single disc unit, be prepared for converter clutch shudder as the friction modifiers are not the same."

Tried changing your fluid and putting clean ATF4 ?

I never knew this and just read it on CF - but from Frank at Revmax .

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/474289-could-dexron-mercron-right-2.html

"We recommend +4. Now, you can run Dex 3, but ONLY if you are running a triple disc TC.. If you run Dex 3 on a single disc unit, be prepared for converter clutch shudder as the friction modifiers are not the same."

Tried changing your fluid and putting clean ATF4 ?

No I didn't try that but the shudder I'm getting is severe and lasts longer than any shudders I ever felt in other Chrysler vehicles. I'm going to put the converter in anyway as I plan on uping my power a little bit, but now I know for sure what kind of oil to put in it. Thanks for the good info.