• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Long transmission swap question :)

I'm having issues with my torque convertor in my 01. I have access to a complete 96 12 valve 4x4 that has a 5 speed but was rolled. I can get the whole powertrain for under $1500. Will all the parts flywheel etc transfer to my 24 valve? I don't really want to put the 12 valve in. I thought I may sell it a recoupe my money spent. Is there any electrical issues I will face? I think the pedals will swap in as the cabs I believe are identical. What about the center hump in the cab? I know it's a ton of work but it would solve any future auto trans troubles, and clutches are easy to change. Has anyone done this? Did you miss your auto afterward?

there are some a couple of threads on it here and a bunch over on the the other place. From what i gather it is not just simple swap of the trannys and pedals. Drive shaft maybe and the electronics definately( ecm and or pcm dont know wich)I am really not sure what all you have to do. I love my stick and if I wanted an auto I think I would buy one with it in it. Just my :2cents:. others are much more knowlegeable than I.

When I bought my 99 it was an automatic, nothing wrong with it just would have liked a manual but got a steal on the truck. I did some research, looked around, most people said to sell the auto and just buy a manual. I found a NV4500 with flywheel, shifter, manual trans cross member, clutch and brake pedals and master and slave cylinders on ebay. The hardest part of the whole process was having to take apart the transfer case to change the input shaft from the 29 spline to the 31 spline. I replaced my PCM, I still need to get it reflashed with my trucks vin so my abs lite will quit coming on, but that is a minor issue, the truck still runs fine the way it is and it has hauled some heavy loads and not complained about it at all. It took me four days to do the swap, three of which I was working so only had the evening to work on the truck. I was able to find the cubby hole for in the dash and the floor cup holder/shift boot at the wrecking yard, just had to repaint them to match my trucks interior. I am very happy that I did the conversion, the auto is fine for most people, but I prefer a stick. As a bonus I gained about 6 mpg with the NV4500. The front driveline will have to be shortened or lengthened, I forget which, but the rear driveline I did not have to do anything to. The floor board also needs to be cut for the shifter to come through, but that just takes a little time and measuring to make sure you get it right. I would not hesitate to do it again, I think that it is just a more reliable drivetrain option.