• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

An uncertain noise...

Generally up to about 350 to 400 hp the stock exhaust is just fine. Over 400 hp you would want a 4" system. From what I understand there would be no one on here making enough power to require a 5" system. Even semis have 4" and they make a fair bit more power than we do. If you go to big you can cause the EGTs to climb!! The reason for that is because the exhaust never gets warm and since cooler air is more dense it takes more effort to push it out.

Its good to hear someone else say this because I've tried to explain for years why how going "big" (over 4") isn't always the right move.....for HP reasons.

Generally up to about 350 to 400 hp the stock exhaust is just fine. Over 400 hp you would want a 4" system. From what I understand there would be no one on here making enough power to require a 5" system. Even semis have 4" and they make a fair bit more power than we do. If you go to big you can cause the EGTs to climb!! The reason for that is because the exhaust never gets warm and since cooler air is more dense it takes more effort to push it out.

This is good to hear. I need to do the exhaust again and wasn't sure which one to go with.

Okay, so I got my exhaust fixed. I just had the section of the exhaust above the rear-end replaced. I forgot to take a picture of it. My exhaust guy was a little surprised to see it rusting as it was a piece of stainless.Once he replaced that section, the rattle went away! Yay! :hyper:

Mhmm I wish i would of known this before hand. It does have a 4in down pipe till past the transmission so that might help. But man does that 5 Inch make a nice sound!

I bet that does sound good! I like the sound of stacks too, but don't think they will be good for towing my fiver....

Okay, so I got my exhaust fixed. I just had the section of the exhaust above the rear-end replaced. I forgot to take a picture of it. My exhaust guy was a little surprised to see it rusting as it was a piece of stainless.

Once he replaced that section, the rattle went away! Yay! :hyper:

It wasn't stainless..... Probably aluminized steel.