• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1996 Dodge Ram - 16-17 MPG is reality!

• Owner

I've been told that getting above 14 MPG with a V8 Magnum 5.9L Dodge Ram is tough well I've gone and broke that barrier... As for written fuel logs here is the last 2 back to back fill ups.147,376 - 147,068 = 303 Miles / 20.132 Gallons = 15.299 MPG147,686 - 147,376 = 310 Miles / 18.700 Gallon = 16.577 MPGThen when I rolled home... Cmg = Current MPG for Today and then Tmg = Total MPG for the tank...I'd say I'm doing just fine... :woot:post-2-138698186996_thumb.jpg

• Owner

You lucky though... I've also got rolling mountains and grades to travel over. I've got more of a challenge fo getting good MPG's when I'm climbing from 2,800 ft elevation to 5,200 ft just to go to McCall, ID for some quick grocery shopping. Any direction I go I got to climb grades 5% to 7% is the typical for highway out here but it not just for 1-2 miles it might be for several miles if not more. So now for me to pull 16-17 MPG with this kind of terrain and being gasser I'd say I'm doing quite well. :wink:http://g.co/maps/q84ua

I had a 95 1500 4x4 reg cab I ordered and bought new and had for 110k miles. It had a 360, auto with 3.92 gear ratio and it did 16-17 on the road and around 14 in town its whole life. I ran it hard too. I always get the best mileage with all my rigs in the mountains versus the rolling hills of the northern plains just for reference. I can always average 2+ mpg better on mountain roads gas or diesel. I find all the downhill coasting far overrides the little extra it takes to pull the grades.I think that gear ratios have a lot more to do with mileage than most think and it is not always how one would think.I know with GM pickups with the 6 liters will always do a lot better mileage with 4.10 gears than the rigs with the 3.73 gears. There is always a sweet spot for all engines and those happen to like the higher rpms for the better mileage.

Like I told Dripley... [ATTACH=CONFIG]3961[/ATTACH]

I am still piling up dirt. Might just be easier just to come to Idaho and see it for myself. That way I cna be an Idahoian. Something just dont sound right about that though. Idahoian???? I dont know, not much differant than being a North Cacalackion. :lmao2: :lmao2::lmao: