• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Surface Rust on frame

-Sanded and resprayed my steps today as looking a bit rough.Notice the whole frame has a fair bit of surface rust where the black paint is starting to bubble.6 months in CA on the ocean.Whats easiest to do here ?? Or just leave it unti lI cant bear it anymore and have the doors and windows taped down and try and have someone sandblast and paint ?? :shrug:

dont you still have to brush all the loose rust off ?And that will take away teh paint and then leave it kinda orange/rusted looking after the naval jelly is washed off .....at least thats what it did to my stairs Ground as much raust paint as I could off, applied whole bottle of jelly , washed off water.Then 1 coat rust preventing primer - and 3 coats of black. -6+ hoursLooks good - but man that frame is much bigger.

Ya, if there is heavy flaking rust it has to be taken off before you put the naval jelly on. If you have heavy pitted rust spots then you may have to apply more than one coat of the jelly to remove the rust.Depending on where you have the rust and how much there is, I think you can use the jelly and it would be easier than trying to get it all sandblasted off. Sand blasting will be very dirty and will get gritty stuff everywhere so you will have to take great precautions to prevent damage from the rest of the truck.I don't think the naval jelly provides any protection after you wash it off, so you will have to prime and paint or use undercoat to protect the metal.They make undercoat in the kit form so you can spray or roll it on your self if that is the way you want to go.

• Like 1

Take a wire brush on a small side grinder and knock off the rust and then hit it with some JASCO prep and prime from Lowes. It turns the rust to black oxide. Scuff it with a Scotchbrite pad after it dries, to knock off the white residue, wipe down with laquer thinner and paint. The JASCO product is a rust killer and self etching primer.Keep out of eyes and don't inhale as this is Phosphoric Acid.

• Like 2

thanks guysthink I might use the grinder brush idea to get most the rust off and then treat with something like that JASCP prep mentioned and try this POR15 out - had remembered you mentioning it before russ - if it works well on rv - might do to truck from as well - just a little more carefully :)

thanks guys think I might use the grinder brush idea to get most the rust off and then treat with something like that JASCP prep mentioned and try this POR15 out - had remembered you mentioning it before russ - if it works well on rv - might do to truck from as well - just a little more carefully :)

POR-15 is good stuff as well. I made a typo in my post (corrected now). Should read JASCO prep and prime. Buy a cheap pump spray bottle for application. Something like what windex would come in. This stuff is great, after sandblasting or other removal process you can just spray it down good and leave it in the open. Rust will not come back where ever it is sprayed.

• Owner

Heck all I did was go down to Home Depot and got a Krylon Tune Up for my trailer frame... :whistle:Yeah I know I should do it right some day but... I want to retard as much of the surface rust right now before its forgotten and now is really ugly. My problem is my trailer sits down rather well and can be difficult to crawl under to do work.

Heck all I did was go down to Home Depot and got a Krylon Tune Up for my trailer frame... :whistle: Yeah I know I should do it right some day but... I want to retard as much of the surface rust right now before its forgotten and now is really ugly. My problem is my trailer sits down rather well and can be difficult to crawl under to do work.

That's why they make a jack and jack stands :tongue: Oh and Saturdays

• Owner

That's why they make a jack and jack stands :tongue: Oh and Saturdays

Warning Icon WARNING!
Becareful of how you do this! You might want to call the manufacture of the trailer on proper jacking / jackstanding of your trailer!
I've seen some bad post where people did it wrong and damage interior walls, cabinets, doors, etc from frame twisting and improper location of the jackstands. On mine I not to worried I got square tube frame and I would jack up both axles and place a jackstand just behind and forward of the leaf springs on the frame. This is to try to load as close as possible to the axles as it was designed. Saturdays?!?! Those are missing on my calendars... Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Fri, Sun (gotta go to church!) :whistle: Got beer in the fridge but never enough time to drink it... :banghead:

Warning Icon WARNING!
Becareful of how you do this! You might want to call the manufacture of the trailer on proper jacking / jackstanding of your trailer!
I've seen some bad post where people did it wrong and damage interior walls, cabinets, doors, etc from frame twisting and improper location of the jackstands. On mine I not to worried I got square tube frame and I would jack up both axles and place a jackstand just behind and forward of the leaf springs on the frame. This is to try to load as close as possible to the axles as it was designed. Saturdays?!?! Those are missing on my calendars... Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Fri, Sun (gotta go to church!) :whistle: Got beer in the fridge but never enough time to drink it... :banghead:
I figured you wouldn't need a warning and would be smart enough to do it without damaging anything