• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thread Locker options

Well, don't use the red if you ever want to take it apart again. Some time ago, a sport fisherman complained that his 12' antennas were unscrewing & I must not have installed them right. My boss said to stop them from unscrewing. I used my red on the full threads 1"d X 1.25" thread length. The owner proceeded to destroy the antennas (by the shock of wave jumping). My tech couldn't get the broken antenna off so I went there with a big pipe wrench & a 5' cheater... I got it off but it fought every turn.

I know there is larger bottles available. Not sure if you'll find them from anyone around you local or you may have to order off the internet. Try a simple Google search and I'm sure you'll find someone who carries the larger bottles. And yes, only use the blue stuff. The red stuff MUST have heat applied to release it and is basically considered permanent.

I know there is larger bottles available. Not sure if you'll find them from anyone around you local or you may have to order off the internet. Try a simple Google search and I'm sure you'll find someone who carries the larger bottles. And yes, only use the blue stuff. The red stuff MUST have heat applied to release it and is basically considered permanent.

yeah guess I was just hoping someone foujnd that mixing old used oil with baking soda and craft glue worked just as well :) Expensive stuff for what you get. Do you guys apply it and let it dry a little before bolting it in ...... or do you just go straight in. Asking as I had to pull one out and most of the thread lock was gone - no longer in thread of bolt.

yeah guess I was just hoping someone foujnd that mixing old used oil with baking soda and craft glue worked just as well :) Expensive stuff for what you get. Do you guys apply it and let it dry a little before bolting it in ...... or do you just go straight in. Asking as I had to pull one out and most of the thread lock was gone - no longer in thread of bolt.

No I've never heard of any backwoods receipt. :) And the way thread locker works is from the lack of air created within the threads when you cinch the nut/bolt. So giving it some air time to dry before assembly does nothing.

ok dumb thread - but what the heck What other options are there - I'm tired of paying $6-$7 for this stuff in such a small bottle http://www.amazon.com/Oregon-24200-Permatex-Threadlocker-Blue/dp/B0002UEMZ2 Anyone use anything else ?

What are you going to use it for? There are other brands of locking compounds but loctite brand is the best quality. The biggest mistake folks make is they think if a little is good a lot is better which is what causes most issues. Another trick to loosen up a fastener that will not budge due to excessive retaining compound it to give it a few hard sharp wraps with a hammer which will crack the compound and or heat the faster and area with a torch or micro torch as this will reliquify it and make it easier to loosen.