• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It's quiet and it snuck up on me....

• Staff

Over the last few years I have done a few mods that have made the truck quieter, and well I guess the cumulative effect just snuck up on me!I was camping a few weeks ago and a guy with a bone stock 6.4 Ford commented on how quiet it was, which was not something I expected as the 6.4 is a fairly quiet motor. Well sure enough my truck is a LOT quieter than his. So now I have started listening and it's amazing how quiet my truck is at idle, the loudest things are the trans and the vacuum pump. The trans was super quiet with the 6.7 damper until the weather warmed up, now it makes a little noise but not much. All in all I am pretty happy with it!The things I have done that effect the idle noise are...6.7 Harmonic Damper (did this on my dad's 06 and it made a HUGE difference)Colt CamGarrett Stage 2 TurboSmarty JR UDC and idle timing. I'm adjusting the valves next week, we shall see if that does any more. Not a bad side effect for the mods.

Maybe I should save my $$$$ and do those mods instead of putting all the fancy stuff on. I would like to add a nicer turbo than the current stock one but I cannot go to much over 500hp do to the fact of not having a billet input shaft. Is this possible? I guess it would be I would just turn the Smarty down to a different setting. Do you agree?AD64ID is it worth spending the money on the anti-sway bar that you purchased if you really don't tow heavy or at all? Also is the bar for the rear or the front? the reason I ask is i was looking at them but could only find it for the rear.

• Staff

Hellwig only offers a rear bar, and they have 2 sizes. I put the standard one on as I only tow about 8K, and only haul about 2-3K a couple times a year, but always on windy roads. It made a nice difference empty and towing and wish I had done it sooner. My dad put the "Big Wig" on his 06 as he hauls a slide in camper. The turbo I went with is limited to about 450 rwhp in terms of air, but it's a very nice upgrade from stock and better all around!It all depends on what your after, I am looking for a reliable, smooth, efficient 400 rwhp and I think I am there. There are far cheaper ways to get 400 rwhp, but I am happy with how my truck is setup.

I agree with you AD64ID I am not looking to go sled pulling or racing (OK if a punk rolls up and wants to go maybe then) I just want something better than stock and to lower my EGTs. Also since I cant really increase my HP's I want to spend my pennies on improving things on my truck.

I just bought the Hellwig sway bar to add to my '05. I opted for the Big Wig as I carry a slide in camper that moves the cg way up in the air.I had a regular Hellwig on my 2nd gen but opted to move up to the Big Wig for this new truck. Haven't installed it yet but will try to work that in over the next 3 or 4 weeks.I was surprised at how much quieter this '05 is compared to my 2nd gen. I think it is quieter on the road also. I have an '09 Camry XLE that has terrible road noise when you drive on the hiway above 65.I can listen to the radio in the truck at a much lower volume than I have to turn the radio to in the Camry when I am on the freeway.I am going to replace the stock muffler on the truck so that will probably add a few db's to the sound level.