• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I just installed my edge on saturday and now with the tranny temp guage on there i see its runnin very hot. no problem hittin 200 degrees:pant:! I'm pullin around 16000lbs most of the time but it still seems odd it would heat up so quick. i just replaced all my cooler lines and wasn't sure if i coulda started something than:shrug: ? any ideas or whats the first mod i shud do to fix this?

We need more details. Where is the temp sensor mounted? Is this temp seen going down the open road and if so what speed and what kind of terain or is it putting around town stop light to stop light what are the ambient temps, gear ratio / tire size I see in your signature ect? :think:

We need more details. Where is the temp sensor mounted? Is this temp seen going down the open road and if so what speed and what kind of terain or is it putting around town stop light to stop light what are the ambient temps, gear ratio / tire size I see in your signature ect? :think:

Yeah what big bill said ^^^^ 200 isnt going to kill you if its in the test port and its hot outside and your in a lot of start and stop traffic. If your doing 65 on the highway and seeing 200 tehn you have a problem. What VB/shift kit do you have - and stock torque convertor ? Does it slip at all ?

Like others have said, depending on placement of the sensor it could be alright. Consider that the cooler for the transmission sits next to the radiator, and runs through a heat exchanger that circulates coolant, that stays at 190-200 degrees. It doesn't seem like a stretch to see transmission temps that are similar.Transmission in tow haul mode?

I got the sensor mounted in a port on the back side of the transmission on the passenger side of it as laid out in the edge install instructions. The torque is locking up when i hit 50 mile an hour and it does cool off when it locks up. just gettin there can actually take it above 200 in a hurry. A local mechanic/dodge guru put heavier springs in my valve body and also upgraded the pressure dump valve and solenoid. I'm driving all gravel roads so a little soft with quite a few starts n stops. Also I'm runnin the 285/75 toyo m/ts.

I did an experiment on my 02 and found that the temp in the servo port was the same as in the pan. I would consider you get the cooler line with the sensor port in it and monitor it there for better accuracy. With your description you are getting it fairly hotter than 200*. I would run with the OD turned off with what you describe and see what that does until you move the sensor. The slow going with large loads and stop and go is what heats them up fast as it is in converter drive most of the time and that generates a lot of heat. Are you running synthetic oil in the tranny. Here is a link to the line with a port in it and a link to a threqad describing it. http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,42,624352 http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/1135-Installing-Tranny-temp-gauge?highlight=sensor

• Like 2

I got the sensor mounted in a port on the back side of the transmission on the passenger side of it as laid out in the edge install instructions. The torque is locking up when i hit 50 mile an hour and it does cool off when it locks up. just gettin there can actually take it above 200 in a hurry. A local mechanic/dodge guru put heavier springs in my valve body and also upgraded the pressure dump valve and solenoid. I'm driving all gravel roads so a little soft with quite a few starts n stops. Also I'm runnin the 285/75 toyo m/ts.

Last time the bands were adjusted? 16K is bound to work a tranny over pretty good in your situation. Especially since your outside the design parameters of the tow vehical by at least 4k. GCWR is 16-18k depending on rear gear, so your trailer load is too high in any situation for your truck, and will tax the complete system. Your transmission mods don't address the cooling capacity of the truck, as it came from the factory. http://dodgeram.info/2001/towing-charts.html