• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck Lighting Upgrade

Night lighting for the Dodge trucks I have sure has leftme wanting better.

I decided to add the full blown Brite Box to my '05 and to upgrade the bulbs inmy fog lights.

Now with my low beams on I can also use my fog lights (nothing new here overstock capability) that have the upgraded bulbs. This requires adding an adapterplug to accept the brighter capacity bulb. This gives me something like 40% more lumens that the stock bulb.

Now when I turn on high beams my low beams also stay on as well as my foglights will stay on also. This required adding the Brite Box electronics aswell as necessary adapter wiring and new fused power taps going directly toeach battery to power the set up. All the power required to run these lightsgoes through new Brite Box electronics and wiring harness.

The light improvement is a huge change.

Here is a picture of one of the electronic boxes as well as the day light viewof the lights with low beam on and one with high beam on.

post-11041-138698187845_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187869_thumb.jpg

post-11041-138698187858_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I went with brighter dual filament bulbs on my 02 running a bright box it melted the bulbs within a few weeks and I wound up going back to a stock bulb as the heat generated by having both filaments lit in hotter bulbs was a bigger safety hazard than dim bulbs. I had to drive home in the dark one night due to this, burned out both headlights on the same day last fall.

When I went with brighter dual filament bulbs on my 02 running a bright box it melted the bulbs within a few weeks and I wound up going back to a stock bulb as the heat generated by having both filaments lit in hotter bulbs was a bigger safety hazard than dim bulbs. I had to drive home in the dark one night due to this, burned out both headlights on the same day last fall.

That sucks :wow:

That sucks :wow:

If I had fog lamps it would have been better but I never did add any other lights to my 02. It was a slow ride home on country dirt roads for 20 miles at night. I am not saying it will happen on yours but I tried a couple of different sets of brighter bulbs and they all burned out or actually exploded inside the head light housing. None lasted more than a couple of weeks. But the original bulbs held up.

I don't know about what the directions say for the 2nd gen Dodge but the install directions for my '05 specifically said not to use any brand of brighter bulbs (brighter than stock) because of life and heat issues.In fact the directions say the unit is rated for 120 watts for the high and low beam on function. That is the output of the 9007 stock bulb (hi and low together)The Sylvania brand bulb is the only recommended bulb.I hope there is no problem in the future and I'll be watching very closely but I followed directions to a 'T' cause I don't want a melted assembly. If I ever lost the electronic control it should be fairly easy to go back to the stock setup. Just pop the headlight assembly out and un-connect the Brite Box connectors and plug the stock connectors back in to the headlight assembly. Probably not a 10 minute job but certainly a field doable job so I shouldn't have to be stranded.Boy the light is sure nice at night.Upgrading the fog light from the stock 1000 lumens (ea) to the new one at 1700 lumens (ea) is another very visible improvement.