• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Basically its replace what broken in the alternator test it and if it passes all test put it in the for sale pile. So brushes might be wore down to 10% but still passing. Diode is marginally passing still sell it. I'm going to see if I can round up parts to sell on the site store for quality alternator rebuilding. 

I will check to see if it's a Denso. It's possible. I bought a Napa one that worked for a while then started to have issues. Then rebuilt the old one but had no luck with the issue. That is the one in there now. What does the kit cost? At this point I'll try that because I don't feel that I'll get anywhere with this place. 

It also blows my mind how's it's so intermittent.  

This is where I bought the parts to rebuild mine.  This is for a Denso.

Rebuild Kit:  $42.82  http://www.aspwholesale.com/repair-kit-nd-er/if-136a-p6046.html (comes with brushes and bearings.)

Rectifier:      $32.38 http://www.aspwholesale.com/rectifier-nd-p1375.html

This is a pretty good video that can walk you through the rebuild.  It all worked out well for me and fixed the AC noise that I had.

Edited by Hawkez
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Hawkez said:

This is where I bought the parts to rebuild mine.  This is for a Denso.

Rebuild Kit:  $42.82  http://www.aspwholesale.com/repair-kit-nd-er/if-136a-p6046.html (comes with brushes and bearings.)

Rectifier:      $32.38 http://www.aspwholesale.com/rectifier-nd-p1375.html

This is a pretty good video that can walk you through the rebuild.  It all worked out well for me and fixed the AC noise that I had.

Thank you for the video and links. I have not gotten to watch the video yet so excuse me if it's answered in there. Do those kits come with the diodes and all parts needed? I've been real busy but will look at video and links tonight  

5 minutes ago, Johnnyusmc said:

Thank you for the video and links. I have not gotten to watch the video yet so excuse me if it's answered in there. Do those kits come with the diodes and all parts needed? I've been real busy but will look at video and links tonight  

The rectifier is the diode pack and the rebuild kit comes with the brushes, bearings, and a few other goodies.  Through that site you can buy just about any parts or pieces for the alternator.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, quick question...I have read quite a bit of this thread, and have also gone through about 3 alternators from the box parts store (2 bosch and 1 denso).  There is no local alt shop so I am left to the rebuild option.  I see their are two kits (larry B and a wholesaler).  so...the question...are these kits the sure fire fix for the alternator? (are the good quality parts?)  I am seriously sick of this problem and do not want to have to take the alt off my truck again...

so is it worth it to start with one of these kits?  Do I need to wait and see the results of the nations alt?  Is buying a nations alt an option?  sorry for all the questions, but this is my work/dd and the majority of my driving is between 45-60mph...so lock up issues are a real problem.

so from what you have heard Mike, are the Nations a sure fire fix?

(forgive the formality, I've read a lot of your posts on CF and your site and have a tremendous amount of respect for your opinion)

wow! just checked out Nations page and you weren't kidding...I could but a few new alt and rebuild kits for some of the prices...

I've done all of the tricks to fix the hunt but it always comes back. I was having issues, and I swapped my alternator with a reman, ended up being tranny fluid level. Then the new alternator started acting up a few days later and made it shift worse than my stock denso. I replaced the rectifier in the alternator with a brand new one (or so I'm told.) Alternator tests ACV 0.032v idle, and spikes 0.089v @ 2500rpm, but sits around 0.052v at 2500rpm. The hunt does go away with pulling the fuse, so I'm guessing something else in that alternator is causing the hunt, but definitely can't see it on my DVM.

Thinking about replacing the reman with a new alternator from the same place, World Power Systems. How do you keep your alternator from acting up, Michael?

I just bought 2 new batteries for an unrelated problem, but could those be the cause? - New battery cables as well.

Edited by rynsc100

46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you pulled the fuse and the problem is gone then you still have an bad alternator.

Yeah, I guess the next biggest problem with the torque converter lock/unlock is sourcing a reliable alternator, huh?

I noticed on my particular reman they state they only swap the brushes, and bearings and test everything else. I changed out the rectifier, I'm wondering if it's something else in there. Lke the slip ring :/

I'm going to call up the alternator shop and have them bring in the 100% new unit, and swap out the reman. Or I'm considering a PA alternator, but the whole couple day shipping thing is my biggest concern. Darn DD

Edited by rynsc100

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've seen bad brushes, bad rear case where the bearing and shaft jumps, I've seen bad diode the most, but also bad wiring to the field lead can cause issues. I'm trying to source out diode kits and other things for sale here for rebuilding the alternators possibly.

Definitely the way to go. Has Nationals Alternator said they would even source out their diode packs? - Other option I'm considering :ahhh:

Now I'm going to go root around for an Alternator field lead check in your Articles 

Edited by rynsc100
Added info.

UPDATE: Changed the alternator with a ProAmp new alternator PN: 13302N, and kept the brand new rectifier off the reman, in case this one starts acting up. The new diodes made the reman not as harsh with the lock/unlock, but it still happened early in the morning. When I tore into the reman, the slip ring and brushes were NOT new or replaced, they had wear on them.

Still too early to tell cause it took the reman about 4-5 days to show signs of wear. The for sure sign of an alternator going is by pulling the fuse, period. The alternator I had was showing a stable 0.027-0.031 VAC at idle, 0.051 with errything turned on, but I did notice before I replaced the reman, there were spikes going all the way up to 0.113 VAC with stuff on. 

I do need to test the AC from the new alternator, but I am hopeful.