• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque Converter locking

• Staff

I hope I'm not hyjacking this thread but my torque converter locks up so hard when I stop the struck and do a restart, as soon as I put it in gear it stops the engine. I have to roll downhill in neutral before placing in gear and then the trucks goes just fine.What could cause this? Too high of fluid pressure or level?Please delete this post if it's a hyjack..... I know very little about auto transmissions. Thank you

• Owner

Naw I won't kill your post but I'll move it and make a separate thread from it... :cool:But talking to Pepsi71Ocean abut his problem there is a tidbit of info about the torque converter being locked in park and if the system is draining down it might take too long to pump the fluid to the torque converter to unlock it. So if you place the trans in Neutral for a short period it should allow the pump to pump fluid in the system and prime it up.

If the convertor is draining back then it will not make the truck move until it fills again. Your issue sound more like a convertor failure than anything else. It could be a mechanical issue or an electronic issue that is keeping the convertor locked. Check this page for how a convertor works: http://www.goerend.com/torqueconvertertech.php

• Like 2

Good read there Tom! :thumbup2:

Thanks. Dave Goerend is always a good person to talk to! On another note...... Michael, don't you think it is a little TMI that you like to play with a penguin??:lol::lmao::lmao2: