• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Manual trans curiosity question...

I've noticed in my truck and when I had my 5 speed Mustang GT years ago, that when you let off the throttle somewhat suddenly, without pressing the clutch at all, the whole vehicle seems to jolt quickly. Say for example, I pull out and shift normally to 4th gear, then a car cuts me off, and I immediately release the throttle without clutching at all. The whole truck jolts. Doesn't make any clunks or bad sounds. But I was just curious as to what this is and if it does any harm. It gets progressively worse the higher the speed of the truck and RPM's. Usually doesn't do it at lower speeds unless RPM is high. My truck has a fairly new Southbend clutch and the Mustang I referred to had like 30k on it. So it seems unlikely anything is wrong with the vehicle, I was just always curious what exactly was going on and if I should take extra care to avoid it whenever possible.

I'll take at a look at all that stuff when I get a chance, but I'm not very concerned about something being wrong with it. Especially since the Mustang I had was in excellent shape an also did it. It just seems to happen whenever RPMs are a little high for whatever MPH you are moving, then release the throttle suddenly. Never happens when I'm just normally driving unless something unexpected happens or I just get sloppy for a moment.